W2K Boot Error after restore w/ V7.611.2

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Mike H, Aug 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike H

Mike H Guest

We have made images with True Image version 7.611.2.

After we restore the image and try to boot we get the following error:

Windows 2000 could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem.
    Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware. Please check the Windows 2000(TM) documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manuals for additional information

We had this problem once before and it had something to do with the way we built the image and needed to change a file to reflect the number of partitions, etc. I can not remember what we needed to do as it was never documented.

2. rharris270

rharris270 Guest

This is just a guess, but win2K, like XP, uses a file called BOOT.INI to tell the PC where to find the windows directory. This file must be on the first partition of the first internal hard drive, usually called C:\. This is true even if the Windows operating system is installed elsewhere. The BOOT.INI for my (XP) installations is as follows. Perhaps it will inspire you to remember what is needed for Win2K:

[boot loader]
    timeout=15
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect
    C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons

Note that disk(0)partition(1) is also knows as C:\ in my system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.