VX2 deleted but IE 6 now can't WinUpdate. Please advice.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by chew, Jul 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chew

chew Registered Member

Hi all

Please help. I need your advice on this. Please be known that I have followed all the advice on this forum to prevent all sort of nasties. I have even stopped surfing net for a while.

But today I deleted two VX2 virus/trojans whatever they are called using Ad-aware 6.0. 181 the latest version on my GF laptop.

But now her I.E. 6.0 is no longer working. It does not load the webpage properly at all and she can't use Windows Update anymore. Her PC is also very slow now. However, Firefox 0.9.2 on her system is still fine.

Initially, I thought I got rid of VX2 using SpySweeper 2.6.1 but when I read the log file on Ad-aware 6.0, the VX2 apparently was not deleted by SpySweeper 2.6.1. But Ad-aware detedted them.

These are the files that I deleted: (I have summarised the log file)

Scan done by Ad-aware 6.0.181

Started registry scan

Type: RegKey
    Category: Data Miner
    Rootkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    object: SOFTWARE\Microsoft\code store database\Distribution Units\{30000273-8230-4DD4-BE4F-6889D1E74167}

Performing conditional scans ...

VX2 Object recognized!

Type : File
    Data : Bi.ini
    Category: Data Miner
    Comment:
    Object: c:\winnt\
    FileSize : 241KB
    Created: 5.4.2004 17:10:24
    Last accessed: 21.7.2004 23:00:00
    Last Modified : 21.6.2004 07:48:28

I have posted on Ad-aware forum but nobody even want to reply ... So I have no choice but to post on WSF to ask for help. I tried not to post here first because of recent announcement by WSF on Hjack This. But I don't know where to seek here now apart from here.

I apologise if you think this is not the right place for the thread and hope you could move it to the right location or let me know if you want to delete it please.

This is the thread and the full log file at Ad-aware forum I posted. (again I apologise as I don't intend to post everywhere and trying to follow the rules set by WSF).

www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=38031

Her laptop is:

IBM Thinkpad A22m
    Windows 2000 OS
    McAfee AV (latest)
    SpywareBlaster 3.2 (latest)
    SpywareGuard 2.2. (latest)
    MRU Blaster (latest)
    SpySweeper 2.6.1 (just there only)
    Ad-aware 6.0. 181 (latest Ref file: 18. 07 .04)
    Mozilla Firefox 0.9.2 browser.
    All the latest security patches from WindowsUpdate.

(I.E.6.0 with all the WindowsUpdate security fixes but this is the one that is not working now).

So could anyone please advice me on how to restore her IE back to it's formal self please. So she can use Windows Update again.

Please help.

Thank you

Chew

P/s: We have been VERY careful while on surfing on the net. I think the VX2 virus was not completely eliminated the last time.

2. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

Chew;

1) Please check the Application, System and Security logs in the Event Viewer. Post any anomalies here.

2) Then check your Internet Explorer security settings for all four zones; “Internet”, “Local intranet”, “Trusted sites”, and “Restricted sites”. Set them all to default level for now. If you have any custom settings, write them down. You can restore them later. We are just doing this to get IE to work.

3) Go to windowsupdate.microsoft.com and see if it works.

Close Hauled

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.