VSS: Can't read volume data

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by Anderson2, May 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anderson2

Anderson2 Registered Member

Hi. I am running Paragon Backup & Recovery™, version 10, build 9105 (18.11.09 ) Free Edition in Windows 7 64 bit. I backup to a USB external HD. It has worked fine (both to backup and restore) till today. When I tried to backup today, it could not finish the backup. The log says:
    "Backup [virtual] succeeded"
    but
    "Backup [committed] failed
    VSS: Can't read volume data"

Not sure what VSS is. I checked the external hard drive and it was fine.

What should I do? Thanks.

2. Anderson2

Re: VSS: Can't read volume data: error code 0x 12016

I upgraded to version 10.2 free edition after uninstalling the previous version.

Still get the same error and backup fails with Error Code 0x 12016 .

"Backup [virtual] succeeded

Backup [committed] failed
    VSS: Can't read volume data
    Error code 0x 12016"

3. Anderson2

Add'l info.

1. had Windows 7 check the partition I am trying to backup at bootup. Problem persists
    2. I deleted C:\archiv_db and let Paragon recreate it. - Problem persists
    3. Changed from VSS to Paragon's hot processing:
    Problem persists: during the backup got
    Error source: Hard disk manager
    Error code 0x 12016
    4. Had windows copy the entire partition in question to a different folder. Windows had no problem copying all the files.
    5. Searched for "12016" in forum and found nothing except my question.

Does anyone have any ideas.

4. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

That indicates a problem with the drive - may be bad blocks.

Your drive manufacturer website will probably have tools to check and hopefully fix their drives

Hope it helps

5. Anderson2

That is what I thought too but the HD checks out fine. I decided to download Macrium Reflect and it backed up the same partition with no problems. So did the free Acronis backup. So I think this has to do with Paragon not the HD.

6. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

Dear Anderson2,

Please run CHKDSK with /f key enabled to find and fix errors in file system of all partitions (including USB-drive).
    Please check if CHKDSK reports any errors.

If CHKDSK reports no errors, please try to re-install Paragon Backup & Recovery. (Please use system built-in tool to uninstall the program, restart your PC, install the program again and restart your PC one more time)

7. Anderson2

You were absolutely correct. The hard drive is bad and even though Windows chkdsk did not find any bad clusters (!), I ran the HD's self test tool and the HD is bad. I contacted the laptop manufacturer and they are sending me a new one.
    Problems:
    1) I had partitioned the 500 GB HD into a system partition and a data partition (in addition to the Recovery partition the manufacturer put on it). How do I recreate these partitions on the new HD? Will Paragon Backup 10.2 free automatically recreate the partitions or do I need to recreate them before I restore?
    2) The newly installed version of Paragon Backup free (version 10.2) does not see the backups created by the earlier version (I think it was 10.1). What do I do?
    Thank you for any help you can provide.

8. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

9. Anderson2

Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.