VSS can't be initialized for backup

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Georgeous, Aug 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Georgeous

Georgeous Registered Member

I try to backup some volumes in my laptop, but the program always stops for 'VSS can't be initialized', error 0x66f9206.

I learned from an earlier post in this forum, https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=288599 that this is not a backup program specific problem. Alas, the solution given there, to set 'Volume Shadow Copy' service start Automatic, didn't help. I also checked that the related services, viz. COM+ Event System Service, COM+ System Application Service, Remote Procedure Call (PRC) Service, and MS Software Shadow Copy Provider Service are all running; I don't know though,if there start should be Manual or Automatic.

I run Windows 8 64 bit.
    What to do?
    Thanks a lot.

2. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Just for info, which program are you using to backup with when you get the error?

3. MarcP

MarcP Registered Member

4. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Hi Marc

Am interested as to what FixIt functionality you used to resolve the issue. Would you be prepared to provide a little more detail on this. :D

Balders

5. MarcP

MarcP Registered Member

Under "Top Solutions", select "Diagnose and repair Windows File and Folder Problems automatically".

That's what did it for me.

6. Georgeous

Sorry to report but FixIt didn't help.
    Stapp, I try several backup programs, all worked perfectly up to a point, none since. I'm not aware of any change in my system but something must've happened. Hope somebody tells me how to get back to normalcy.

7. Baldrick

Thanks, Marc. Will make a note of that for future reference.

8. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Georgeous one or two other things you could try.

Download and run Windows Repair from Tweaking.com. This will do all the work for you.

Scroll down page slightly for installer and screenshot of what program looks like.

http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_repair_all_in_one.html

If you are sure you have a clean system you could skip the first step.

When you get to the 4th step just clear all tickboxes and select the one for repair VSS and setting Windows Windows Services to default.

9. MarcP

MarcP Registered Member

10. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

I've had vss problems from years on my XP system. I tried many things, but never could get it fixed. However, if you're interested, Macrium Reflect works without vss as a backup/image program. Actually, it tries to use vss, but if it's not available or doesn't work, it uses its own alternative proprietary driver. I've been using Macrium for years now without a functioning vss, and it has worked just fine -- at least on my XP machine.

11. Baldrick

Hi Stapp

Good suggestion...an excellent tool and one that should be in every users tool kit IMHO. :D

12. tgell

tgell Registered Member

13. Georgeous

Thanks a lot, crucial progress but not success yet.

I downloaded and ran the program to re-register VSS from the Macrium page that MarcP suggested. (Earlier I tried this with another program in vain. That had one version only, this offers distinct 32 and 64 bit variants.)

Then, Farstone TotalRecivery 9 Pro started at last. At 99%, however, it went idle again. The error message was the same, Can't initialize VSS. After writing more than 30 GB, practically everything!

Genie Backup Manager 9 Pro though competed the whole process (earlier it wouldn't start either). Not only the backup itself but also the verification for both data integrity and the backup per se.

The same error message from Farstone probably means that a part of the initial issue is still lurking. None of the other suggestions above helped. How could I get it all straight ?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  14. Jim1cor13

Jim1cor13 Registered Member

Hi Georgeous :)

I suggest you contact Farstone directly and let them know the issue you are having. Their support has improved very much over the last year or so. Also, if you have created their winpe boot disc, have you tried performing a 'cold' image outside of windows? At least you should have no problems if you use the boot disc as you can both create an image and restore from the boot disc. It is quite a useful boot media if I recall. Otherwise, some info for you below. :)

You can contact the following:

Contact Information via phone:

FarStone

Peter Lin

949-336-4321

www.farstone.com

Contact via web site:

You can also go to their web site (link above and direct links below) and go to support and open a support ticket. If need be, also register your Total Recovery 9 pro if you have not done so, and then open the ticket.

To register: http://www.farstone.com/support/user-profile/product-registration.htm

To open a support ticket: http://www.farstone.com/support/user-profile/support-ticket.php

Let us know how it goes, and I hope the above info is helpful. :)

Jim

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  15. Georgeous

I'm aware that the bootable media is useful to restore the image, the whole system indeed, in case the OS, or the computer, is crashed. This is my reason to use such programs, otherwise Windows' own backup would suffice. I don't know, however, that it also can build an image. Can I do it with the bootable media if the underlying program on my PC doesn't work? Even if I it is not installed any more? If so, for Farstone only or for other disaster recovery programs, viz. Shadowprotect, Novabackup, Macrium Reflect too?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  16. Jim1cor13

Jim1cor13 Registered Member

Hi Georgeous :)

Yes, according to Farstone, the Recovery manager boot media can do both, hot and cold image backup, and of course restore. It is a complete winpe boot disc and if you create a cold image using the recovery manager boot disc, it does not matter if Total recovery 9 Pro is installed on windows.

This is because the boot media handles both backup and restore, outside windows, booting into the windows PE environment. here is some info form their web site:

Distinguishing Features:

One-click Backup & Restore
    #1 HDD and SSD Cloning
    Hot and Cold Image Backup
    100% UEFI, GPT, RAID, 2TB, 3TB, 4TB Support
    Dissimilar & Universal Restore
    Touch Screen Support
    Perfect Defrag Backup
    Multiple Backup Jobs
    iSCSI Initiator in Recovery Manager
    Quota Management
    Google Desktop Search Incorporated
    Email Notification
    Pre and Post Backup Command

Hot and cold image backup using their recovery manager boot media, of course along with restoring any created image. When I tested Total recovery 9 pro, I used just the boot media to both backup and restore, but I did not care for the program as it altered my restored data. On the other hand, I have also used an older version Total Recovery 7.1 Pro boot disc to both backup and restore and that worked fine.

They may have improved version 9 since I reviewed it back in January I think when it was at version 9.03, it is now at version 9.1, but yes, the boot media will backup and restore without having the application installed on windows.

For that matter, same goes for Macrium or any imaging program that offers a FULL rescue boot media, meaning one can do both backup and restores using the boot disc. Macrium linux boot disc can only perform restores, but their Winpe disc will do both backup and restore outside windows. it depends upon the applications boot media function and capabilities, and if backup is offered in addition to just restore. If it is then you can perform both backup and restores.

Hope that helps :)

Jim

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  17. Georgeous

Thank you so much Jim,

This helped more than I hoped for.
    So, I don't need any such program along with their 'agent', 'service', etc. that always run in the background, impact and slow down the system, might even cause compatibility issues with other programs. The boot disc itself does everything that I need.

Thanks a lot once more,
    Georgeous

18. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Almost all the imaging apps support cold imaging.
    "Image for Windows", "DriveSnapshot", "Paragon" and "Macrium" can also perform hot imaging without relying in vss.

Panagiotis

19. Georgeous

I thought now I understood hot and cold imaging; but Macrium opens its page

http://kb.macrium.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50010.aspx whith this:

Macrium Reflect uses a Microsoft service called Volume Shadow copy Service to enable disk images to be created and files to be backed up when in use.

If that is hot imaging, how come, if not, what is the difference?

20. MarcP

MarcP Registered Member

The keywords are "when in use".

21. pandlouk

Hot Imaging = imaging a partition when it is mounted (in use by the OS and other programs; some files are open)
    Cold Imaging = imaging a partition when it is unmounted

All the programs that I mentioned can perform hot imaging either by using VSS or by using their own drivers. Macrium for example uses "pssnap.sys" to perform the backup when vss fails to start.
    http://support.macrium.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=398

Panagiotis

22. Georgeous

Thank you Panagiotis, it's clear now.

23. pandlouk

You're welcome.:)

Panagiotis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.