Vsmon.exeZoneAlarm settings

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by scootnod, Jan 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scootnod

scootnod Registered Member

Hi, I went through the learning mode after installing PG 3 and today when I started my comp, PG blocked Vsmon installing drivers and services. What options should I have enabled or disabled for Vsmon. Right now it is set to modify and read (both checked), protect from termination and modification (both checked). I just checked allow install drivers and services. Everything else is unchecked.

Thanks

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

You have the same settings I have for Zone Alarm so you should be okay.

When you installed with learning mode, did you do the reboots until PG turned off learning mode. That should have picked up the correct ZA settings.

Pete

3. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

In addition to Peter's advice,
    Did you reboot after ticking "Install drivers/services"?

Pilli

4. scootnod

Yep I did the second reboot with learning mode. I did also reboot after checking allow install drivers and services.

Thanks

5. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

OK scootnod, Then I'll have to ask ZA users to disclose their settings in ProcessGuard for all of the ZA files that PG needs to protect.

Any offers? :D

Thanks. Pilli

6. scootnod

Well I haven't received as alerts since I check allow installation of drivers and services.

7. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

That's good, hopefully all will be well now. Any further problems please ask :)

Cheers. Pilli

8. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

If all is normal there shouldn't be any more alerts. I use latest version of ZA Pro and learning mode picked up everything. The settings i mentioned above should be fine.

Pete

9. bornewi

bornewi Guest

We have tried with ZA home user products: ZAP 4.x/5.x & ZASS 5.x
    On our boxes with PG3.100 full ver. installed, these Protection settings are fine for it working well:

[vsmon.exe]
    BLOCK : { Read + Modification + Termination }
    ALLOW : { Read + Modification }

[zclient.exe]
    BLOCK : { Read + Modification + Termination }
    ALLOW : { Read }
    Others : { SMH }

Well, I also try to say something else. After checked out the DCS website for db specified settings for popular executes, we removed all allowance settings from pgaccount.exe and "read" from proguard.exe, the box got problem after a reboot with error msg "pgaccount.exe could not load and can not process execute requests..."; after gave them back "read" right, no problem so far.

10. stopby

stopby Guest

[correct]
    Regard with the PG settings for pgaccount.exe/proguard.exe which needed "read" privilege because others have been protected from "reading".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.