VPN's... Testing, compatibility and issues

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by MoonQuake, May 15, 2017.

1. MoonQuake

MoonQuake Registered Member

Hi everyone,

This might be considered basic and/or noob issues but I've ran into some problems lately with some VPN's and since I haven't been able to get satisfactory answers from the different service providers, I'm turning to you guys for your opinion/help.

My needs for a VPN service are pretty basic. Simple but reliable anonimity when browsing the web for everyday surfing. No sensitive or classified files to share and no illegal activities.

Based on different threads here, I've been using PIA for a while and everything was working fine until about 2-3 weeks ago.

When streaming my local TV service using the local server from PIA, I began getting an error message from my cable provider's app saying that the service was not available for viewing from outside the country. When In fact, ot only am I locally in the country but also using PIA's local server.

Now I don't know if the following service is trustworthy a or well regarded at all but I went to whoer.net to test the VPN connection, which I remembered doing when initially choosing PIA. At the time, it scored 100%. But this time, only 55% and more (suspiciously...?), it said that the server was located in Canada but the DNS from the US.

I wrote to PIA about the issue 2 weeks ago and have had no response so far.

So I proceeded to test two other providers to compare.

Had the same poor score with VYPR and IVPN scored 100%.

Now, I could switch over to IVPN but, I can't run it along with Disconnect Privacy Pro. Where as everything was fine running both with PIA.

So.... am I doing something wrong here or need to tweak something in my settings or is there really a problem?

Thanks for your input!

2. MoonQuake

MoonQuake Registered Member

Ok so I discovered something.

Seems that although both PIA and Disconnect Privacy Pro can be run at the same time, Disconnect causes a DNS leak.

Everything's fine on whoer when using PIA alone.

So I'll just use PIA's Mace feature to block ads and trackers.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.