VPNCheck Pro

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by luciddream, Aug 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

I've been using this software for almost a week now, and I'm unimpressed. It seems to only work sometimes, and it's buggy. For those of you unfamiliar with it, it's supposed to be a nice compliment to your VPN service. It allows auto-login, disconnects your internet when the VPN connection drops, and prevents DNS leaks.

The DNS leak fix disconnects me from the internet immediately, and is rendered useless for me. I can set up iVPN to automatically login & connect if I want it to, and I trust it a lot more. I decided it's not something I want to do. So the only real use this program would be to me is to disconnect my internet if the VPN drops. That is really the reason I wanted to try this product. It works sometimes, and not all the time. The first time I tried it it worked. After I disconnected my VPN, a popup came up from VPNCheck Pro telling me my VPN was off-line. I looked at my network adapter in the quick launch bar and it didn't appear to disconnect, but I opened Firefox and sure enough, no pages were loading. So I thought: "Great, it works!" I tried it again however, and it didn't work. Again, after disconnecting the VPN it gave me the pop-up... but I opened Firefox and it was working just fine through my ISP. I tried it a 3'rd time, and it failed to block my internet connection again.

I also received an error message as I was configuring it, and it shut itself down afterward without warning. As I moused over it on the quick launch bar the icon vanished. I also noticed a blank value in my startup (msconfig) after installing it, even though I didn't have it set to autostart.

It seems pretty buggy to me. It is new software, so perhaps it just needs more time to mature. Does anybody have any other recommendations about software capable of blocking the internet altogether when the VPN connection drops?

I thought it was neat that Mullvad had this option available through a simple tick-box in the GUI... though I didn't get to test whether it worked or not because my trial wouldn't work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.