VPN for sites that restrict VPN use?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Cheesekraft, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Cheesekraft

Cheesekraft Registered Member

I am trying to mask VPN use, but unfortunately scanning sites always tend to notice. I have tried a myriad of DNS settings and browser hardening, but still unable to access some VPN restricted sites. What can be done to get around this?

2. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Maybe you can try to run Tor Browser over VPN? If sites have VPN IP addresses blacklisted, browser hardening won't help.

3. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

If you need to access those sites, and also need to use VPNs, you could run your own private VPN on a VPS. Bithost leases Digital Ocean VPS (droplets) for Bitcoin. For extra privacy, you can use a commercial VPN to connect to your private VPN. But then, some sites also blacklist VPS IPs.

4. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

One possibility is OpenVPN tunneled through ssl. The software package that does it is Stunnel. It can wrap the OpenVPN tunnel in an SSL tunnel so it isn't obviously a VPN tunnel. Some VPN providers offer it for situations where there is deep packet inspection. It isn't that difficult to set up on a VPS. It is one of the things I'm going to try sometime soon but at the moment my VPS attention is focused on DNS and setting up secure and private DNS resolvers.

5. mirimir

Sure, SSL, SSH, obfsproxy, protocol hacks, etc can all hide VPNs from ISPs.

But @Cheesekraft wants to hide VPN use from websites. None of that will help. You gotta tunnel something through the commercial VPN. It could be a private VPN. Or an anonymous HTTPS proxy. Or Tor, but that brings its own blacklist issues.

6. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

I think he means getting around geo-location bans with content websites like Hulu and Netflix.

A popular reason for VPN is to watch online content not shown in your country. Such sites can detect if you're cloaked by VPN and decide if they want to take your money or not.

VPN doesn't guarantee you get around restrictions on accessing and viewing banned material.

7. mirimir

With some effort, one can probably find VPS with IPs that aren't on blocklists, and setup private VPNs.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.