VPN Comparison Chart

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by drhu22, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Not sure what you mean. The test just query's and only the vpn's server should respond

2. Peter2150

depends of course where you are, but here in DC I am using server US 514, and I get pretty close to my normal speed. In reality I see no slowdown or problem with downloads.

3. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Thnx for info. Will try it in a week or two and will see if I can find server that's fast for me.

4. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

edit = chart means nothing

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  5. boredog

boredog Registered Member

Reason I was thinking Mullvad is they do not collect any personal info at all. No e-mail addy, Name, address. nothing. They are up front who they are and where they are ect.

6. Peter2150

How do you pay them? Nord sets up an account for you . I think they are based in Panama.. Or someplace where they don't have any obligation to give info.

7. Peter2150

8. digmor crusher

digmor crusher Registered Member

According to Mirimir's VPN testing site these are the only VPN's that do not leak, AirVPN, FrootVPN, IVPN, Mullvad, Perfect Privacy and Slick VPN.

9. boredog

"1. Generate an account number
    The account number is the only thing you need to connect to Mullvad VPN. We ask for no email, no phone number, no personal information whatsoever."

https://www.mullvad.net/

10. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Hello from Germany 46.165.220.220
    74.125.73.72 none Google Netherlands
    74.125.181.10 none Google Belgium
    74.125.181.15 none Google Belgium
    74.125.47.132 none Google Netherlands
    How would I know if any of the servers are provided by my VPN service. Isn't that the point. That no one knows where I am in relation to where my VPN servers are.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  11. boredog

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  12. NWOAbschaum

NWOAbschaum Registered Member

hm? it does not leak here and it should not leak at all with lockdown enabled.

13. boredog

Just going by his chart is all. https://vpntesting.info/

My confession is I know nothing about VPN's

14. Peter2150

Well I ran all the tests I could fine, and I show NO dns leaks, with this Nordvpn!!!

15. Cache

Cache Registered Member

I have been an AirVPN user for about 18 months now and am extremely happy with their service. I have tried NordVPN, PIA and several others in the past and I find AirVPN far better than anything else I have used with over 100 servers to choose from, mainly in Europe and North America. They have no logging, a great Windows client and provide excellent online support

16. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Sure. But they picked Gibraltar because collection of customer information for VAT calculations isn't required. That's what they said, anyway. But AirVPN is in Italy, and they don't collect customer information either. Ditto re other VPN providers in the EU.

But anyway, you must assume that TLAs have intercepts. And plan accordingly.

17. mirimir

I only found IPv6 leaks. No IPv4 leaks or DNS leaks, no matter what I did.

18. dogbite

dogbite Registered Member

19. mirimir

@dogbite -- Thanks for the link. TOPG is pretty extreme about biased reviews, both explicitly paid and by affiliates. I agree that some of his language about AirVPN is over the top. But zhang888 does clearly state:
    That's pretty much an admission that they consider paid reviews to be OK.

In contrast, consider IVPN's response to the same criticism: https://www.ivpn.net/blog/closed-affiliate-program

But what about me? I mean, IVPN does pay me to write stuff. And they paid for the work behind the VPN testing site. However, I am very careful to avoid bias, even in stuff that IVPN publishes on their site. And nothing about my work with them tells me that they're not totally OK with that. For example, that VPN testing site recommends several VPNs, and even praises some more highly than IVPN.

~ Off Topic Remarks Removed ~

So anyway, my point is that TOPG is one of the /r/VPN moderators. Maybe not the most rabid one on this issue, but apparently close enough.

And still, he's a good guy :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2017
  20. focus

focus Registered Member

NordVPN is having a sale (from Dealnews):

NordVPN offers its NordVPN VPN Service 1-Year Subscription for $143.40. Coupon code "PRIVACY1" cuts that to $48. (Click "Got Coupon?" at checkout to enter the code.) That's $95 off list and tied with our mention from a week ago as the lowest price we could find. The service features 2048-bit SSL encryption, 662 worldwide server locations in 57 different countries, a no-logs policy, and automatic kill switch. You can connect up to six devices simultaneously, and it's compatible with Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android, and more.

Of note, you can get a 2-year subscription for $79 when you apply coupon code "PRIVACY2". (Choose "$4/Month - Billed Every 2 Years" under "Choose plan" before entering the code at checkout to see this price.) That's $208 off list and the best deal we've seen for a 2-year subscription.

21. mirimir

Are those affiliate links?

22. focus

focus Registered Member

23. mirimir

Don't worry about that. Those results are for the VPN exit server, not for you. It might mean that NordVPN is using that server for HTTPS. But maybe it's just listening on those ports for VPN connections.

In my tests, NordVPN's Windows and OSX clients both leaked IPv6. So use a firewall, or disable IPv6.

24. focus

focus Registered Member

Ok, thanks mirmir.

25. boredog

Air VPN's default setting is disable IPv6

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.