VPN and Speed

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by beethoven, Apr 21, 2017.

1. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

I understand that using a VPN most likely affects the speed of your connection and that there are a number of variables. Some of those are probably hard to judge and/or influence. However I am just wondering about distance as a factor.
    Assuming all else being equal how does distance affect the speed, in particular does it matter if the distance from my device to the VPN Server is short or long. Connecting to a website on the other side of the world, would I expect a better speed if my VPN server is in my suburb or next to the destination? So in theory the actual distance should be the same.

2. VecchioScarpone

VecchioScarpone Registered Member

The rule of thumb for achieving the highest speed is to connect your VPN to the closest server, when talking long distances.
    For shorter distances, say in between EU countries it may not make much difference at all.
    My experience here in Australia is that speed depends on connecting to a server that avail itself of the best technology and infrastructures. Close server connection wont help you much if you are surrounded by servers with second or third class technology and infrastructures. In which case you may get better connection speed from the other side of the world.
    Hope I did not make things more confusing for you.
    Got to do your home work.;).

3. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

What @VecchioScarpone said :)

The situation with latency is similar. Electrical signals propagate at nearly the speed of light, so going around the Earth (40000 km) takes just 133 msec. So it's equipment processing time that accounts most latency in network connections.

4. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

That does not explain to me how far away VPN servers give such a slow speed. For instance I'm in europe and australian servers in every VPN I have used give such dismal connection speed.

I know that closer VPN servers give best speed of course, that is the rule of thumb. But the explanation why it is so?

5. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

A lot depends on routing and the networks a packet gets routed through. I really don't see much difference between in using an exit node in Europe or North America from North America. I haven't tried Australia very much but the slow speeds might have more to do with the number and condition of the networks and routes the packet has to travel through than the actual distance. If there are numerous hops in the route and some of the path is through slower networks, that is, obviously, going to slow things down. The world is far from a level playing field bandwidth wise.

There are also hidden latencies like the time spent resolving DNS queries. For web browsing pages with multiple domains and subdomains, a slow DNS connection would slow loading down a lot. If a direct download shows decent speed but web pages don't load quickly, I would check the DNS resolve time.

6. VecchioScarpone

What @MisterB said.
    I'm in Melbourne VIC capital city, I get better speed connecting to Sydney NSW, Brunei, New Zealand than connecting close home to Ballarat, hardly 129 km away.
    Have you ever heard of the Bush? He He. if you get connected to a bush town well there you go even for us Aussies.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  7. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Right, maybe take a trip via geostationary orbit ;)

8. VecchioScarpone

Sure my friend, looking forward to it next time I connect with VPN:argh:

9. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

I am still confused o_O - understand that the quality of the servers, network connections or DNS queries all play a roll but that would be the same with or without VPN. Everything else being equal, I take it I should hook up with the closest server to me ( and not the destination) but guess I need to find out which servers work well by trial and error.

10. VecchioScarpone

That has been my experience. I got used to get mixed results even from best connections and learned to live with it.

EDIT: If you are an average user like myself:doubt:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  11. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

I can connect to a UK server from Oz and find little difference in download speed but as expected there is a latency increase. There are so many variables though. Even which protocol I choose makes a huge difference.

12. VecchioScarpone

Yes, so many variables:(
    Speed vs Security vs Privacy. Depending on which protocol or criterion is used.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.