WITCH? — VPN and proxy detector.

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Gitmo East, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Gitmo East

Gitmo East Registered Member

https://medium.com/@ValdikSS/detecting-vpn-and-its-configuration-and-proxy-users-on-the-server-side-1bcc59742413
    and
    http://witch.valdikss.org.ru/

This script caught my VPN running wrapped in both SSL and SSH, also the cipher and compression.
    I have disabled TCP timestamps and still it captures my VPN usage.
    After adding a custom mssfix value of 1250 to my OVPN directives I finally fool this script.
    The worry now is I make myself more identifiable by having a custom MTU value.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2015
  2. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

Kind of interesting. It seems to depend on the VPN provider among other factors. It didn't detect a router vpn connection. With the Windows OpenVPN client, it found one provider but not another. The one it got has a very simple .ovpn configuration. The one that it didn't detect has a much more complicated configuration with this line in the file, "script-security 2" and specific mtu and fragment values. The tunnel in my router has a pretty basic configuration so using a router tunnel might work for this method like it does with WebRTC.

3. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Why do I care? Any site that I visit can see the VPN exit IP address. And it's not that hard to accumulate a database of all VPN exit IP addresses, or at least those for major providers. Even without that, it's unusual to have an IP address from a hosting provider, no?

4. Timok

Timok Registered Member

5. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

By itself this isn't such a big deal but it is another server level metadata analysis tool and combined with a few more, can quickly profile a VPN user. It is also very quick and dirty compared to going though a database of VPN IPs.