vpn and firewall

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by rothko, Jul 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rothko

rothko Registered Member

couple of firewall / VPN questions:

when using the firewall in Filtering Mode, what do you need to set to allow VPN connections? I access work remotely via a VPN and havent so far been able to get it to work in Filtering Mode.

If I switch to Interactve Mode then i can create a rule that says when PPTP tp IP address allow. How can i set ESS to allow me to access any VPN address without having to enter the IP address for each one? i did try leaving the IP address field blank, and it allowed this although warned that the rule was too general, however it didnt let me connect any other (than the one i specifcally set).

thanks

2. The One

The One Frequent Poster

I still have the same issue.
    Can't reach my VPN either. I'm still waiting for some help but I'm affraid nobody knows

3. GhostMan

GhostMan Eset Staff Account

Hi

If you set firewall to interactive mode and connect, ESS window should appear (asking for allow/deny). Also you can manually add a rule, that allows all communication for selected app. in both ways (in/out) and on all ports.
    In case ESS is on a PC you want to connect to, you have to create rule, that allow specified port for incomming traffic.
    Setting ESS beta and VPN may be a little bit difficult. If you need more assistance, please send more details about VPN you are using to betasupport@eset.com. You may also include this link.

Best Regards.

4. The One

The One Frequent Poster

Hi Ghostman

Thanx for your reply
    ESS is prompting me but when I say allow nothing changes. I'll try contactin ESET again. I sent them two e-mail unfortunately without any luck yet

5. rothko

rothko Registered Member

in interactive mode i can get it working ok, just added a rule saying allow both ways for PPTP and entered the vpn ip address. works perfectly for me.

cant get it working in filtering mode, but i like interactive mode better anyway.

i would like to know how to allow ANY vpn to connect (i have a lot to different places) without having to set up a rule for each one. I will wait for beta2 or even the final version to bother support about it :D

6. The One

The One Frequent Poster

I several times tried this mailadress and they all came back on me. also tried betasupport@eset.sk but they don't answer at all

7. IcePanther

IcePanther Registered Member

Hi,

Maybe for starters you could set up the rule for a new zone and either set up one or several subnet(s)/mask(s) that would be large enough to contain all the VPN adresses you use, and/or add them manually in the Zone when connecting. Not perfect but it will save you the hassle of creating a rule each time. It's only an idea, though, I don't use Zones that much.
    Also it's pretty normal for VPNs not to work in automatic mode since it filters incoming connections, so I'd say it's by design (more or less) although I admit automatic mode should give priority to set-up rules and then apply it's logic to connections for which no rule exists.

8. The One

The One Frequent Poster

Maybe I'm not sure how to make a zone rule than. I think that's wher I go wrong

9. The One

The One Frequent Poster

Can someone help me to make the right rules?

10. ph2000

ph2000 Registered Member

Cisco VPN works fine for me - Tyr the following:

---
    Add the vpn server (it's IP address) to the trusted zone. Got to advanced settings, personal firewall, Rules and Zones. Click on Setup under trusted zones.

Add in/out rights to the vpn clients (there are two files - vpngui and cpvnd). By default it only set allow one - I think it was in.

If it still doesn work try:
    Browse for vsdata.dll and vsdatant.sys, rename the files in Windows Directory

Open regedit, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then System. Under ControlSet001, ControlSet002, and CurrentControlSet, look inder Services for a key called vsdatant. Delete the key.

You may need to reboot.

Try connecting to the vpn.
    ------------

11. GhostMan

GhostMan Eset Staff Account

betasupport@eset.sk works ok, but admit that there are many request's from users, be patient please. There are many VPN solutions and many users have problem with ESS. If you already send a request to betasupport (with detailed description of problem and related software), we will contact you as soon as possible.

Cheers.

12. rothko

rothko Registered Member

here is a screenshot of my vpn rule for work (highlighted) that works fine for me.
    ignore the 'VPNs' rule below it, that doesnt work....yet:D

Attached Files:

• vpn.JPG
      vpn.JPG
      File size:
      85.9 KB
      Views:
  13. rothko

rothko Registered Member

thanks for the suggestion IcePanther, I will give that a try

14. The One

The One Frequent Poster

Looks like it is working now.
    Added both both VPN ip adress and my local VPN and I'm connected now.
    Thanx guys

Edit
    This is not it what worked for me. It is the setting Rothko suggested what's working for me. Problem is that the rule can't be saved. So I have to do it everytime again

Last edited: Jul 16, 2007
  15. rothko

rothko Registered Member

strange, mine stays saved. i entered it by opening ESS - Setup - Firewall and using the link for 'create rules and zones' (something like that) there to add the rule. I dont have ESS running here so cant check and cant remember, but if it prompts you to create a rule when the Firewall warning window pops up then maybe that isnt being saved. Also make sure you are running the latest beta, just in case you have found a bug that has since been fixed.

16. The One

The One Frequent Poster

I tried something else and for it is working. I'm at another location now. I'll see tonight if it works.

17. The One

The One Frequent Poster

Looks like it is working. Very smooth lucky me.
    Let beta 2 come :p ;)

18. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Glad to see you both finally solved your VPN problem :thumb:

19. The One

The One Frequent Poster

me too thanx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.