VoodooShield/Cyberlock

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by CloneRanger, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Thank you @Gandalf_The_Grey, installed 7.14 over the top. No problems so far, many thanks Dan for this incredible software:)

2. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

7.14 installed over the top too.

No problems so far.

3. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Email from Dan:
    Sorry Mods' / Admin, no link available.

4. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Thanks for info Krusty. Will install over the top later.

5. plat

plat Registered Member

v. 7.15 is not available via the UI, not yet anyway. So installed it from Krusty's message (thanks Krusty) and will evaluate for a little while. Windows 11 Insiders beta. Now I'm gonna install the latest cumulative but will disable VS first. Let's see what happens!

Edit: forgot to disable VS but fortunately, no problems installing KB 5014770. new winver: 22621.160 if anyone's interested (22H2)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2022
  6. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Email from Dan:

7. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Thanks for the info Krusty. Will install over the top later.

8. Antarctica

Installed beta version over the top, no problem so far. Thank you Dan:)

9. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I had a "cursor" problem with VS so I reported it to VS support today. About 1-hour thereafter, Dan sent me a solution. Problem fixed. Amazing!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    VS 7.17 beta is sailing smoothly for me -- fair winds and a following sea. :-*

10. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Wow Dan sounds really excited and that exuberance spills right out. Well it should because he is been amazing and the program is really refined by leaps & bounds! Thanks @Krusty

11. bellgamin

==>Can someone please tell me VoodooAi's specific functions and capabilities?

12. Moose World

Moose World Registered Member

Salutations/Greetings,
    Thoughts and opinions to keep me thinking. In new directions.
    What others security software would suggest run with VoodooShield :)?
    Just in case to help in removal or help in keeping your clean. And why :)?

13. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Fabulous question. Waiting in the wings for the answers. :)

14. StillBorn

StillBorn Registered Member

Voodooshield is basically a white list computer lock. That's probably perhaps an over simplification, but that's pretty much it. FWIW, check out the YouTube reviews and decide for yourself.
    Based on the YouTube reviews I've seen, it appears that the app is for the most part bullet proof. As always, caveat emptor. At least a few posts back, you seemed to have decided to land on Spyshelter.
    As much as any website can be believed, the Softpedia reviews at large would suggest that you made the right choice between SpyShelter and VoodooShield. Get a grip on Sandboxie, which renders both SpyShelter
    and VoodooShield obsolete if not now, then in the near future.

15. bellgamin

That's good info for VS overall. However, my question in comment #18786 pertains solely to the integral component of VS known as VoodooAi.

As for VS and SpyShelter, they provide very different types of protection. Thus, it's not a "VoodooShield versus SpyShelter" situation. Both are quite effective, but in different ways.

BTW, Softpedia reviews are done by volunteers & Softpedia staff members. Those reviews are not professionally done tests, hence they have little significance when covering security apps.

As to Sandboxie, it's not for me. I use long-time trusted apps that are "fingerprinted" by VS -- hence, they need no sandbox. Further, I test new stuff with VirusTotal & Shadow Defender. Ergo, Sandboxie would be excess baggage. As always -- YMMV

16. StillBorn

@bellgamin Good luck with any feedback as to the efficacy of VoodooAi sine it is, after all, a "component" of VS. Unless maybe the developer decides to chime in, ... what's to do.
    As a grain of salt and FWIW, YouTube has its share of reviews that are highly positive on your apparent choice of SpyShelter vs VoodooShield.
    And yet the technological advantages to Sandboxie should be obvious. White listing apps deal with a prescribed given expectation while a sandbox will contend with the totally unexpected event that pretends to be legit.
    Empty the sandbox and all mistakes are flushed away. With that white listing app, make that one mistake of access to the wrong whatever you shouldn't have and you're screwed. Not to give Sandboxie a shot is an enigma.

17. Antarctica

Of course I’m just speaking for myself. On my main computer I have been running WD and Voodooshield only for a couple of years without any problems, smooth and fast. Macrium is my safety backup in case…;)

18. bellgamin

Sandboxie isn't newly discovered. It has been around >18 years & most members (including myself) have long been aware of its existence. There are several old Wilders threads discussing it.

In response to an OT recommendation of sandboxie by @StillBorn, my Post #18790 reported that I use Shadow Defender. SD is an app that lets me easily do computer work in virtual space. Thus, I have zero need for a heavier, more convoluted app to do a similar job. Despite Post #18790, @StillBorn continued to divert this VoodooShield thread into an extended discussion of sandboxie, as quoted above.
    In my comment #18786, I posted the following simple request, "Can someone please tell me VoodooAi's specific functions and capabilities?"

Nowhere did I ask anything about VoodooAI's "efficacy." I asked about its functions. It was a simple request that has since been twisted around to make the question look unanswerable, & diverted to an off-topic discussion of sandboxes. :cautious:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
  19. plat

plat Registered Member

I just started using VoodooShield and Microsoft Defender again after a long break (from VS v. 3xx) on my Windows 11 (Insiders beta channel) drive, along with Sandboxie for Firefox, or as DavidXanatos would call it: FoxieBoxie.

Nothing fancy or overkill, just quiet in the background with next to no hardware resources utilized. Some have used it with other free third party antivirus like Bitdefender, it seems. :)

20. StillBorn

I guess in some profoundly obscure way your long winded temper tantrum of moot points is at least minimally entertaining. Whether it's in the least bit illuminating is debatable.:p

Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
  21. StillBorn

Not sure if there's a free version. But please let us know what version you went with and we'll call it a holiday.;)

22. Gandalf_The_Grey

Gandalf_The_Grey Registered Member

https://malwaretips.com/threads/voodooshield-7-0.111005/page-13#post-993909

23. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Thanks for info Gandalf.

24. Gandalf_The_Grey

Gandalf_The_Grey Registered Member

You're welcome Stapp :thumb:
    Installed over the top this morning with no issues.

25. plat

plat Registered Member

Thanks to Dan's generosity, I use Pro right now. :) Have to update to latest build whenever I feel like installing my Windows 11 drive.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.