VoodooShield/Cyberlock

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by CloneRanger, Dec 7, 2011.

1. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

5.55 is running great. I hope someone else will try 5.56 beta & tell us it's good to go.

2. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

I tried 5.56 @bellgamin , but I was seeing a pop up telling me the servers couldn't be reached. I know that was supposed to be informational, but seeing the same message on more than one machine multiple times gets a little annoying.

3. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

VS 5.56 (free) doing fine here on this laptop. No problems in several hours of use, running in smart mode. Had no problems with 5.55 either.

4. bellgamin

@Krusty & @Chuck57 -- Thanks!!! I installed 5.56 beta & it's running just fine so far. It is very light on resource usage, both RAM & cpu. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  5. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

VoodooShield crashed my computer. I restored recent image with 5.04 Pro, now it says I must install the upgrade and it removes VoodooShield.

Edit:
    I have now installed 5.56B and everything seems ok now. Except I had to disable WhiteCloud as it would not connect to servers. I am using Malwarebyte Windows Firewall Control v6.0.2.0. I had not blocked Voodoo.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  6. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

https://voodooforums.com/forums/topic/voodooshield-5-50/page/42/#post-3574

7. bellgamin

On VS's GUI, the Whitelist page has a black rectangular click spot for "Reset Whitelist". I checked VS's website & could find no explanation of this option. I would very much appreciate answers to the following 2 questions:
    Q1 - Does the reset button (a) clear my Whitelist & start building a new one OR (b) WHAT?
    Q2 - When & why would I need to reset my Whitelist?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

@Krusty -- Thanks yet again. You are a MAJOR bonus to this thread! Per the link you gave, I installed 5.57 beta & it's running grrreat. As to VS's tray icons, hovering over WCL's icon now reports "Whitelist Cloud: All Safe" (when the icon is white), & hovering over VS's icon gives the server response times.

Shazam! I now see things 2020 (in more ways than 1). :p

8. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Yes, that.
    Lately while testing the betas some have found resetting their whitelist has solved some of their bugs and that means they don't have to uninstall / reinstall.
    :thumb:

9. Bertazzoni

Bertazzoni Registered Member

Yes, this and maybe your whitelist starts to get a bit unwieldy or you encounter some other issue with blocks, etc. Starting with a clean slate and building a new whitelist does not require much effort, even with WLC disabled.

10. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

I gave VoodooShield a rest for quite a while due to continual enhancements resulting in issues, seemingly for many others also.

But because I have licenses I am prepared to give it another go.

My inclination would then be to go with stable releases only, and v5.55 (01 Jan 2020) seems to be the latest of those?
    But these seem as problematic, leading to ongoing new betas (now 5.57beta). I'm not sure changes are tested sufficiently internally, prior to releasing betas.

I'd like to like VS but my (maybe dumb) question is: In general, is it less problematic to stay with stable releases, or implement betas as they come out?

11. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

I'm staying with the 'stable release' 5.55 for now as it has been problem free for me so far. It may have an odd bug not discovered through the beta testing period but any bugs would likely affect very few. The newer beta versions are just that, betas, and as such aren't as polished.

I think the next few releases will be to fine tune the stable version and I doubt it will take long for the next 'stable' version to be released.

At least, that's how I see VS now anyway.

12. bellgamin

I enjoy participating in beta testing of innovative, pioneering security apps such as VoodooShield. Thus, since becoming interested in VS, I have installed the last 4 VS betas. I have had zero problems so far. Note: I always shut down all my other security apps during the brief time it takes to install VS. Also, I image C-drive every 2-3 days and retain about 3 months of images.

Beta versions are tested in order to detect & eliminate bugs. Therefore, official release versions are what I install for friends & family.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  13. paulderdash

Sure, me too, and I do (HmP.A, and others) - I just think Dan is perhaps a little 'trigger happy' with his betas :eek:, and should possibly do a little more internal testing before releasing each one ...

Else it just becomes a bit too much effort. o_O. But that's just me. :isay::D.

Will give v5.55 a try on my old HP netbook (amazingly still running, with latest stable W10).

14. bellgamin

As I stated in my comment at Post #18212, I have encountered zero problems with the last 4 Vs betas (these 4 are the only ones issued since I began using VS).

When I take on any beta, I expect it will very likely be buggy & unstable (that's why it's designated beta, after all). That's one reason why I image fairly often.

Reading back through previous posts about VS betas in this lengthy thread, I don't see that VS betas manifest any degree of "bugginess" beyond the levels of the several other security apps that I have beta tested over the years.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  15. Freki123

Freki123 Registered Member

For software in general: Beta = I'm testing software and accept the risks and have a working backup. If you want no hassle stay stable :)

16. paulderdash

I was in application development for 35+ years, so I do understand about testing. I have images, and backups of images aplenty (maybe not as many as @Brian K or @Peter2150) :D.

I have been testing VS on and off since 2014, and do also monitor the official forum (and MT). The initial vision was simple: 'lock' the computer when online.

The only point I was trying to make is that stable releases are often immediately followed by another beta to solve a problem, and new betas often resolve one, and create another issue.

I would suggest stable VS versions are more like betas, and betas are more like alphas, that's all. Maybe understandable, given Dan's limited resources. ;)

Not trying to 'dis' the software Just interested to see how VS performs now given recent WLC enhancements - and get a feeling for whether people here were generally running last stable, or running betas.

'Nuff said (from me).. :isay:

17. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

It performs GREAT! And has for me for quite a while...the issues have been minor and the Betas released have been just that...BETAS and certainly NOT alphas.

18. bellgamin

A) Under Advanced Settings, there is an entry: "Antivirus & Machine Learning/Voodoo AI settings." Under that is a numerical checkbox for: "Automatically quarantine files with ____ or more positive detections." The default apparently is set at 5 detections.

Q1: Is Voodoo AI functioning along the lines of a Behavior Blocker or... what?

Q2: Does VS give notification when it quarantines a file?

Q3: As a mildly paranoid fellow, I reset this to 3 detections instead of the default 5. Opinions please: Too tight? Too loose? Just right?

B) Further down under Advanced Settings there is an entry: "Anti-Exploit Settings." I presently use Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit (MBAE) for this type of protection.

Q4: To what extent does VS's anti-exploit protection OVERLAP MBAE's protection: Totally? Partially? Not at all?

C) Concerning VS's "On & "Off":

Q5: Why would anyone want to use the "Always On" mode?

Q6: Is VS's "On" status equivalent to "Locked"?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Does VS monitor dlls and drivers loaded in the system, or only exes?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I'm still running 5.57 beta & it's running fine, with just 1 possible exception. Namely, there are times when I am typing on an internet page, or on my word processor, and suddenly my cursor won't stay put but disappears. It only occurs from time to time -- NOT all the time. Most of the time it's okay. However, when this problem does arise it won't go away until I disable VS or restart. Is anyone else encountering this issue?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  19. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

https://voodooforums.com/forums/topic/voodooshield-5-50/page/44/#post-3637

20. bellgamin

Thanks for the update, Krusty!!! I am praying for all of Wilders' Australian members.

21. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Thanks bellgamin. Me too!

22. bellgamin

Can anyone answer my questions at post #18218?

23. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

I'll try.
    VoodooAI is Dan's program that uses several criteria to determine whether a file is likely to be safe or not. I don't know exactly what criteria but I know it has many it calculates, some having more weight that others.
    I've never had VS quarantine a file but I think that is a user decision based on the fly-outs.
    A matter of choice. 3 detections on VT could mean a file is legit but has more chance of false positives. I leave it at default as I'm sure Dan has his reasons for its selection.
    I could be wrong, but VS Anti-Exploit is pretty basic, so MBAE would offer more thorough protection, but remember, any exploit has to get past VS first anyway. There would be some overlap but it probably isn't worth worrying about. If you are concerned, of course feel free to disable that setting in VS.
    Paranoia.
    Yes.
    DLLs, yes. Not sure about drivers.
    I haven't noticed that.

My answers may not be a complete picture of VS but I do hope it helps. I'm sure there a more knowledgeable VS users that could give more complete and perhaps more accurate answers, but I have done my best.

Aloha!

24. Bertazzoni

Bertazzoni Registered Member

@Krusty @bellgamin That about covers it.

Re: Even Autopilot is very strong protection. This is how @cruelsister tested it a few years ago and if you read her comment to the video, she described it as "exquisitely coded"!

Re: Anti-exploit feature. I'm not sure I've ever seen a description of this feature so I can't say anything definitive about it. There is no reason to disable it even if you run MBAE. Your entire question would be better posted on VS forum.

25. bellgamin

Thanks for the info @Krusty & @Bertazzone.

I find the VS forum to be poorly structured & unadministered, so I feel asking questions there would be of limited value. It's more of a blog than a true support forum. I'm sure it will improve in the future but for now... ghost city.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.