VoodooShield/Cyberlock

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by CloneRanger, Dec 7, 2011.

1. _CyberGhosT_

_CyberGhosT_ Registered Member

2. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Yeah, I also am not keen on joining yet another forum, sorry.

I'll keep watching from a distance.

3. Alexhousek

Alexhousek Registered Member

Everyone please remember that version 4.0 is a BETA version! It's not a final release! If you don't like dealing with bugs, then I suggest that you wait for the final version.

4. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

Right on. Either that or try again the next day, the developer is so attentive, it's possible whatever problem you had is gone or going.

If you're running 4.0 beta yourself, you would have no problems following this thread.

5. VecchioScarpone

VecchioScarpone Registered Member

+1

6. VecchioScarpone

@JohnBurns, @Krusty

Since I decided to follow VS at MT I still share my findings on here. I wonder though, with Dan not active on Wilders, on the long run sharing from both forums may just validate your points.

7. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

Well, after a few more zzzz's [sleep], I just started VS again after starting the laptop [coming out of hibernation].

CPU usage is back to normal for VS .:confused:

VS_v4.0b_CPU usage excess_05.JPG > VS_v4.0b_CPU usage excess_06.JPG

8. VecchioScarpone

Yes mate welcome to the seesaw, this is the life of a beta tester;)

9. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

:thumb: :D

10. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

Yeah, got the re-registration on both machines with reboot, even though both had registered successfully initially. But we know Dan is applying fixes there.

The CPU usage problem is inconsistent for me: but generally around 12-13% on secondary machine, and around 23% on the primary (when it occurs). I don't think disabling scanning of child processes makes a difference, though can't be sure yet. Edit: It doesn't, in my case at least.

On my primary machine only, VS does not auto-start, but setting VS service to 'automatic, delayed start' seems to be the easiest way to fix this.

Otherwise, indeed there is no 'drama'. Will still need to wrap my mind around the (optional) Rules builder.

Posting this for info only. Maybe Dan does still read here, but maybe only worth posting at his 'new home', even though it does cut into drinking time @digmor crusher :D; at least he interacts there.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  11. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

Just noticed my innocent comment which was posted at #17434 originally, has been removed. I am disappointed!

Wilders' removed my post_01.JPG

12. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

Thanks for alerting me to the Alerts feature on Wilders anyway, never noticed or used it before :rolleyes:.

13. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

I happened to be on "the other forum" just now and here is the 4.01 beta. Timing is everything. :)

https://malwaretips.com/threads/voodooshield-discussion.63827/page-26#post-668625

The only way I can get a clean shutdown is to exit out of VS 4.0 first. Exclusions in EAM don't work right now. Let's see what this does.

Addendum: Yep, shutdown is still hindered unless VS is exited prior. That's it so far: no registration boxes, no CPU (very quiet there) issues, no excessive memory usage, no errors in Event Viewer. The only observation persisting from 4.0 is that VS is in the systray from the moment the desktop loads yet is not in Startup programs/task manager.
    2nd.png

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

Just installed VS v4.01b beta over the top, and no reboot, so far. Still have the CPU utilization problem.

VS_V4.01b_ install_01.JPG > VS_V4.01b_ install_02.JPG

> VS_V4.01b_ install_03.JPG

15. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

Back, after a reboot... and CPU is OK. I don't understand.:blink: But, I can't access my screenshot, because my browser [freshly loaded] is now in an isolated environment because of ReHIPS, which I have started using again, recently.

16. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

Just took a screenshot, and it shows CPU...not good.

VS_V4.01b_ install_05.JPG

Just noticed in that other VS forum, that the registration of VS is still a problem. However, it is not an issue for me with this new beta.

17. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

I don't know how you could have missed that feature, all this time. But I am glad, you are now in the picture, so to speak. ;)

18. wolfrun

wolfrun Registered Member

Verify same here as above. Also, notice HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Current Version/Run----is gone. VS not showing in startup either. Also with VS 401b had to re-register 4 times after re boots. No CPU issues though which is a plus. At the moment have uninstalled 401b and will wait for the final stable version.

19. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

Yes, that's a chunk of your CPU, @Tarnak Here's something, I left the machine for a bit, when I came back, Automatic Maintenance was running and so was VS 4.01. Jiggled the mouse and that stopped the maintenance but VS executable kept going. Like you did, a restart made that go away. Also, on shutdown, this time VS specifically came up as preventing shutdown, so there's that. Hope the developer looks in here periodically, the CPU problem is not insignificant, right?
    VS and auto maintenance.PNG

20. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

I looked in registry then, on main PC with release VS 3.59, VoodooShield subkey is there. On machine with 4.01 beta, there is nothing there. Hmmmm.

regkey VS 401.PNG

21. wolfrun

Yes exactly the same here. VS Run subkey is there with 3.59 but as soon as 4.00/4.01beta is installed, the Run key in HKLM disappears...like magic o_O So for me anyway, with this problem and the shutdown problem I am going to give it a rest for now. Maybe a more stable version will be available later and then will try again.

22. guest

guest Guest

There is no need for an autorun-entry, if VS is started by the service:
    Code:
    v3.59 (Autorun)
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
    "VoodooShield"="C:\Program Files\VoodooShield\VoodooShield.exe"
    v4.0 and newer (Service)
    VoodooShieldService (Auto Start) => VoodooShield.exe

Edit
    : Nevertheless, in some cases the service doesn't seem to start VoodooShield.exe and VoodooShield.exe has to be started manually or the user must add an autorun-entry for it.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  23. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

mood, I wasn't aware of this--obviously. This is obscurely a relief. :)

24. wolfrun

Well I guess that answers that problem then. Maybe you have the answer to this problem also....."Experiencing mild shutdown delays with a message related to Program Manager when VS 4.01 is installed"....."The only way I can get a clean shutdown is to exit out of VS 4.0 first"..."Shutdown is still hindered unless VS is exited prior".

25. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.