VoodooShield/Cyberlock

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by CloneRanger, Dec 7, 2011.

1. VoodooShield

VoodooShield Registered Member

Please check your pm's, you should be good to go. Thank you!

2. VoodooShield

Not at all, especially if it is an older pc. What you might do is to download a random executable to your desktop, and test VS's response time as you adjust the slider. You might see how long it takes to kill the executable, and just kind of adjust it to your liking. I hope that makes sense, if not, please let me know!

3. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

Ahh I see, thanks

4. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

5. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Wow, that's a lot! The word should get around now how great a product VS is!

6. molhopicante

molhopicante Registered Member

Thanks.

There's no problem.

I was afraid of doing something wrong when I made the payment.

When everything is OK I receive a message about the subscrition?

7. ichito

ichito Registered Member

and its pop-up alerts are "the most beautiful on the world" :D

130704083154_3.jpg

8. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Wasn't this thread just closed? Anyways, I've installed it, but found out that it disables UAC for no good reason other than "redundancy", which isn't true unless it can replicate sudo-like user permission management along with file/registry virtualization.

Even said my trial ran out on reboot, but I don't remember trying it, except maybe the beta. Therefore I'll take a pass, even archaic software works with UAC enabled. It's bad coding to force users in an unrestricted admin/root environment, allowing any (whitelisted) program to do as they please and make system-wide changes/errors.

9. VoodooShield

Sounds good, thank you.

I am not sure what you mean by "When everything is OK I receive a message about the subscrition?"

10. VoodooShield

11. siketa

siketa Registered Member

Dan, I think you can drop the lower red part of the popup cause it looks like a commercial for VirusTotal.
    The text description above options is enough....

Just my 2 cents....

12. VoodooShield

Why did you think the thread was closed? That is odd.

VS does not force users to run in an admin environment... it protects the 90% of the users that do run in that environment ;). And yes, 90% is an actual number of computer who run as admin. It was either 90% or 91%, I do not remember which. Remember, all new computers and OS installs are admin accounts. Very few people setup a standard user account because it makes the computer almost unusable. I do not remember the exact number, but the vast majority of users disable UAC since it is so annoying, it is one of the first things they do when they get a new computer or install Windows.

Most modern viruses will easily bypass UAC, and it is completely redundant to have both. UAC was hacked before the Vista RTM was released. UAC is annoying enough on its own, but when VS blocks something after UAC has allowed it, it is even more annoying. Besides, the most dangerous security hole BY FAR is the affirmative user prompt. The Deny by Default method that VS uses is much more secure.

Thank you for your input though!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
  13. VoodooShield

That is true, we might do that. Although, VirusTotal is great and they have done a lot for us, so we do not mind if it looks like we are promoting them ;). Thank you!

14. siketa

siketa Registered Member

I get it. :D
    :thumb:

BTW, Happy Independence Day!

15. VoodooShield

Thank you! Happy Independence Day everyone!

16. AlexCross

AlexCross Registered Member

Yes, this topic was closed like 10 hours ago, I tried to write here about my whitelist but thread was closed, but happy to see it open again ;)

I found in my whitelist some programs that I didn't use them, like, Opera, Firefox etc, I have never had them installed on this OS. Are they added by default?

And what does the path " ~ " mean?

I have a service name with full path and bellow again the same service with ~ path. ( I was confused when VS asked if I want to allow "~" to run, because I don't know what it means).

And I found no named service (blank space), with a patch.

Is ok to have this in my whitelist or should I do another training?

17. VoodooShield

That is really odd that it was closed, I have no idea why. If anyone knows, please let us know!

Yes, before we added the feature that allowed all processes from the Program Files folders and certain Windows folders (which are protected folders), we had a list of default processes. I have been meaning to remove these, I will at some point. I just don't want to make a change that adversely affects users.

It is hard to explain what the ~ does without getting into some of the details of proprietary info, but basically it just means that the path for that file cannot be found, in most cases temporarily. There are a handful of files that will not allow any program to obtain its path... and believe it or not, it typically is because of Digital Rights Management. VS 2.0 will run the engine as a service, and we will hopefully not have to use the ~ method anymore, although it works extremely well as it is.

Can you give me more details on the no named service (blank space)?

I am sure it is fine, but I would be curious to know more about it.

You really do not have to reset your whitelist, but it doesn't hurt either. And training is now extremely fast, so either way is fine. Thank you!

18. VoodooShield

We are thinking about extending the free offer for another week or more, and maybe promote it on the giveaway sites. The offer was initially just an impromptu "Thank You" to all of the people who have helped us get VoodooShield to where it is today. But after seeing the huge response we are getting, we are wondering if we can make it go viral? Especially since now we have the automated account system in place. We initially thought we would receive no more than 50-100 responses, but the response has been amazing!

So should we extend the offer? If so, how long? Thank you!

http://www.voodooshield.com/freeoffer/

19. ZeroDay

ZeroDay Registered Member

I'll be promoting your product on my Facebook and Twitter accounts. Once again - Nice work.

20. VoodooShield

Thank you very much :).

21. AlexCross

AlexCross Registered Member

c:\windows\system32\searchprotocolhost.exe .This is the path for the blank service name.

Ps. I have already recommended VS to all my friends and family. Great software.

22. siketa

siketa Registered Member

23. VoodooShield

Yes, you will be fine, especially since it is in the system32 folder.

Cool, thank you!

24. VoodooShield

25. taleblou

taleblou Registered Member

Hi:

Well after one day of try, voodooshield when on blocked my magicjack internet phone app from running after reboot without ant message. Anyway I turned it off. Although it warned on firefox flashgot and blocked it. But by allowing it it lets you run the program. The only issue that pissed me was when certain programs needed the CMD to run voodooshield gave warning and I had to allow it each time. After allowing it, it would go to off position and after a while would turn on. I think it takes time to get used to it.

It would be a great idea if a pre-made white list of all good and safe applications is made so that it would not keep warning or forcing to turn off when installing or updating some apps.

With a pre-whitelisted or trusted apps, voodooshield would be the best program of its kind.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.