VoodooShield/Cyberlock

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by CloneRanger, Dec 7, 2011.

1. guest

guest Guest

no need indeed, in MT, some are already using VS or other forms or anti-exe/HIPS/BB. And unlike here, we allow comparisons and malware testing, so basically the members can get a decent feedback of a product from other users/testers.

yes they should.

2. guest

guest Guest

lol Dan, you should reply to him on MT not here :D

Btw, nice video you made, and good job from VS.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2016
  3. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

And as Dan said in #11086, you could try VS with the Ai component only, seeing you have EIS and MBAM Premium already.

4. guest

guest Guest

@VoodooShield What about an option to check what AV engines from VT should VS take into account for evaluation. It should be very easy to implement and will allow us to choose only the engines we consider "best". This option is available in SecureAplus

What is the difference between "autopilot" and "Trust the blacklist scan false positive detection and auto allow files not detected as unsafe by VoodooAI in all modules"?
    How do they play together?

When we will have a new software version?

5. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

Dan, are you intending to keep a nag-free version? I know there is an invitation to buy when I go to the logs via settings, which is fine by me. Is that going to be the one and only nag? If VS stops something am I going to be further nagged? Ta.

6. askmark

askmark Registered Member

Hi,

I've only ever used traditional Antimalware (MBAM Premium) and Anti Virus (Kaspersky) products before so would Voodoshield be suitable for someone who likes to download and test different apps on a daily basis or would I be plagued with popups every five minutes? I'm concerned I'm going to be warned about false positives for software which is safe but doesn't have characteristics of safe software ie. digitally signed.

Anyway i'm going to test the free version and see how that goes first. I understand the pro version has greater control over settings, which is something I may need. Is there a trial for the pro version available?

7. Logethica

Logethica Registered Member

Thanks again for the Pro-License,Dan :)
    VS is (still) performing great...I'm extremely impressed with it,and I continue to recommend it to everyone I meet.

8. Moose World

Moose World Registered Member

Salutations/Greetings:geek:

Could you take a moment to do the list with a few others security software? Within the next couple of weeks?
    Very interest in your thoughts on the above post number?

Kind regards,:)

Moose

9. VoodooShield

VoodooShield Registered Member

Yeah, but with the exception of USB devices, how is the computer going to be infected if it does not have an active internet connection? The whole point of VS is to lock the computer when a risky web app is running.

Besides, all of the alternatives that he mentions, either has nothing to offer in the way of file insight, or they are cloud based as well. So why only pick on VS ;).

10. VoodooShield

Yeah, UAC could potential be very handy... it just needs A LOT of refinements, which is essentially what VS has been about the last 5 years... trying to discover what refinements make UAC user-friendly. Keep in mind though, UAC was never designed to be a security mechanism... even Microsoft will tell you that. Besides, I believe application whitelisting is infinitely more powerful and flexible than then elevation of privileges method that UAC uses. Also keep in mind, UAC offers NOTHING in the way of file insight, and essentially everything that is not malware IS A FALSE POSITIVE with UAC. And I agree, there are some cool things that could be done with SmartScreen as well! (Sorry for the rant ;)).

But to answer your question ;)... when on AutoPilot, basically any file that the blacklist and VoodooAi determine is Safe, is automatically allowed without a prompt. If the file is suspicious or unsafe, the user will be prompted (either with a mini-prompt or full user prompt). Basically, the idea is to allow anything and everything that is unquestionably safe, but then block anything that is questionable. VS is still an anti-executable, but as far as I know, ALL of these safe files would be blocked by a traditional anti-executable or UAC, right? Not to mention all of the other safe mitigations (some proprietary) that VS uses to safely build the tiny, customized whitelist. Thank you Kees!

11. VoodooShield

Yeah, a guy named David, and another guy who will be named at some point are working on the marketing stuff... I need to stay away from that as much as possible and just stick to the mathy stuff ;). But yeah, we are in a transition, but most likely we will end up raising money and let people know about VS. We could not raise money until the patent was issued and until the software was ready... I think we are almost ready ;). Thank you!

12. VoodooShield

Yeah, I spend too much time online talking about malware as it is... the last thing I need is to rejoin another forum. I am comfortable at wilders because the mods know how important it is to keep the conversations as civil and truthful as possible. People are passionate about malware, and tempers do flair... but I think either way, if what we are reading and posting ultimately has no resemblance to the truth, then it is quite pointless and we just wasted our time. And the end result is that the end users we are trying to protect, are infected. This is definitely not a slam on the MT mods, but I will say that if I was a mod at one of the sites and I read some BS, I would do something about it. Also, I think it is patently unfair for any mod to ever be biased toward or against any product, and show it in public. So if I did have the time to rejoin MT, I do not see how it could ever turn out well.

Besides, we have several options on which path we are going to take VS. I am hoping that whatever path we choose will include me working exclusively on VoodooAi Version 2.0, because that is what I am most interested in, and I have some killer ideas for it. And hopefully someone else will take over VS development, then that way he or she will be communicating with the wilders beta testers, and I will post from time to time as well. So there is no point for me to start to post to MT.

BTW, you said "Voodoo started as an UAC replacement, then became an anti-exe, then added VT checks, then got an AI feature." That is one way to look at it... here is another. VoodooShield started out as a toggling desktop shield gadget / computer lock, and now it is a smart toggling desktop shield gadget / computer lock ;).

Also, hopefully someone will post my response to NullByte soon. Basically, he just simply does not understand what all is going on. BTW, if anyone is ever going to try to convince someone of something, do not start your argument off with "On a first look, this product looks amazing.", then provide 3-4 extremely weak, misguided and misinformed arguments. Otherwise, you essentially end up confirming that it is amazing.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
  13. VoodooShield

Cool, sorry, it is hard to keep up with everything ;).

14. VoodooShield

Hey guest... yeah, I would love to list the engines separately, and it would be easy to do so, but right now it is not a possibility.

For the second question about AutoPilot and that option... well, that option reduces false positives in all modes when VS is in a protective state. So basically, if that option is checked, the user assumes that the false positive detection is correct, and will auto allow the file, assuming that the file is not detected as Unsafe by VoodooAi. If you ask me, I think VoodooAi is easily accurate enough to enable that option by default. See, we are trying different options and thresholds, and trying to find that one sweet spot that is most user friendly, and still there is essentially nothing bad that can slip through... I really think we are close to finding the sweet spot. Either way, most of this stuff is adjustable by the user anyway.

I have no idea when the next beta will be available. I am still working on the freeze issue, but VS has not froze on me for a very long time now, so we will see how it goes. Thank you!

15. VoodooShield

The free version will probably always have a nag screen of some kind, but we will never nag the heck out of users. Yeah, if VS blocked an actual threat for the user, then every Friday they will see a nag screen when they start their computer. I am open to suggestions on how to make this better. If you need a free pro license, please let me know. Thank you!

16. VoodooShield

Hi Mark,

Nice to meet you! I received your email and I will setup your account after I catch up on these posts. Really, it is up to you, but if I tested apps on a regular basis, I probably would not test them on my main computer, I would probably test them on a secondary machine or a VM... simply so the computer does not become cluttered. But if I had to test tons of apps on my computer, I would probably want to know the blacklist scan and VoodooAi results, before I installed and tested the apps. If someone wants to download tons of unknown apps and install them on their computer blindly, I would think that is probably not a very wise thing to do. If anything, for this scenario, you could always put VS in Disabled mode, then drag and drop the file to VS to see if the file is malicious or not. But in general, I would say that VS's target audience is not software testers... our target audience is the 90-95% + of home, SMB and enterprise users that run the same 5-6 apps each day, and would like to have their computer locked when it is at risk.

BTW, if someone is more concerned about being annoyed by the occasional false positives and less concerned about becoming infected, then none of the application whitelisting / anti-executable software would work well for them. In this case, simply disable UAC and run only Windows Defender and SmartScreen. Thank you!

17. VoodooShield

Thank you Logethica, I appreciate that!

18. VoodooShield

Hey Moose,

It really is hard to say because a lot of it has to do with personal preference, and there is not one answer for everyone.

Here is something that is quite funny that I think will help. There are about 5-10% of my clients who will NEVER try VS, no matter what I say. I mean, these are people that I have known for 16 years, who absolutely trust me with their data, and ALWAYS have taken my recommendation on EVERYTHING... except for when I recommend VS ;). I think it is just impossible for them to accept that something that I helped to create could ever be "as good" or "better" then what is already on the market. But it is totally cool with me, so I do not push VS on them, and besides, it is helpful to me that some of them do not run VS. But either way, it is hilarious that they have always immediately accepted my recommendations on everything, except for when I recommended VS.

For these clients (assuming that I can only recommend one product), I usually recommend either Webroot or Emsisoft Anti-Malware, since most of them are novice or average computer users (and these are amazing products). Once CylancePROTECT has a GUI, I will probably recommend them quite a bit as well. Also, during my first youtube test, I noticed that Avira absolutely killed it... so I actually installed Avira recently on a clients computer to see how they like it. If I was going to recommend something to a semi-advanced or advanced user, it would have to be AG, ERP or Sandboxie.

But this is just my opinion... there are a lot of other great security software on the market as well. But if you ask me, the most important thing is that the computer is either absolutely locked, or somehow well protected, when it is at risk. Thank you!

19. VoodooShield

guest, please proceed with the VoodooShield Challenge on MT. VS needs to stay out of it as much as possible... our only role will be to hand out licenses. You and yesnoo, and whoever else can take it from here ;). Thank you!

20. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

I have PM this page & this post links to guest on MT.

21. Thanks Dan

I thought because it is named auto pilot, it thought it also auto blocked suspicious and unsafe.

Looking with an half eye to other whitelist applications, would this make sense to you?

Two modes for both average and advanced users.

Easy to use (novice) modes:
    1. Current Smart Mode
    2. Auto pilot with the change that it also blocks suspicious and unsafe (with a small user/gadget information pop/display)

Advanced user modes
    3. Current always on mode (with full user prompt)
    4. Lockdown mode
    (allowing only white listed applications, with small user/gadget information pop/display).

I have no idea how much work or change this would be, so apologize for asking (generally it is not a good idea to change code of a beta, when it is close to final release).

Also normally I would NOT suggest novice modes with an anti executable, but since VS is so user friendly, it might also use its artificial intelligence to make the decisions for the user.

IMO VS might be the first white list anti executable which could be used by average user.

Regards Kees

22. Appaloosa

Appaloosa Registered Member

Dan pm cruelsister, the rest is just talk. She has the knowledge and credibility to put this to rest once and for all on both forums and the ones causing trouble to cause trouble will move to something else like they always do.

23. VoodooShield

Yeah, I totally agree, thank you! I would pm her, but she knows that I am perfectly okay with her posting a bypass for VS, or pointing out deficiencies in a video. We are hopefully going to be tested soon by one of the top AV testing companies, and so we will all see very soon ;). If they find something that I screwed up on, I will fix it ;). Thank you!

Edit: Oops, I thought that was a pm from Appaloosa... oh well, I will just leave it ;).

24. VoodooShield

Very cool, thank you Kees for the suggestion... yeah, that would be really cool to do what you are suggesting. There really are a lot of things we can do to enhance VS and VoodooAi... we just need to find the time to do so ;).

But yeah, when VS is on AutoPilot, it should block suspicious or unsafe files automatically. If someone notices a suspicious or unsafe file auto run when VS is on AutoPilot, please let me know! Thank you Kees!

25. Moose World

Moose World Registered Member

Salutations/Greetings!:thumb:

Thank you for the details in Post # 11130

Moose!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.