VoodooShield/Cyberlock

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by CloneRanger, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Dan, in regard to the freeze/hang issue of SSherjj I noticed it was a Nvidia update (probably graphics card related). A lot of drivers have two signatures (e.g. Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher) and Broadcom Corporation, Intel Corporation and Realtek on my PC. My Realtek's audio GUI and updater run as a Protected Process, I can't touch them with ProcessExplorer running as admin.

So maybe you could you check what happens when VS tries to block a protected process (whatever full blown Protected Process or Protected Process Light). Because HIGH IL processes can't touch PPL this might cause VS to hang.

Regards Kees

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2016
  2. SSherjj

SSherjj Registered Member

Hi Dan! Logs sent!\

Thanks, Sherry

3. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Yep. VS did freeze after all. Nothing logged as [ERROR] for that time or after.

4. VoodooShield

VoodooShield Registered Member

I will catch up on the other posts soon... thank you guys, I received your logs.

Krusty, I think you might be on to something... this might be happening when there is a permission issue with items like dismhost.exe... let me see what I can do. Sorry it is taking so long!

5. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

The odd thing is that VS only froze on one machine, even though I was prompted for dismhost.exe on both. :doubt:

6. dbrisendine

dbrisendine Registered Member

What is running on each machine? Same OS / version?

7. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Hi DB,

As per my signature. Yes, both machines are Win10 x64. I've found some odd entries in the DeveloperServiceLog.Log which I've asked Dan about and he is investigating further. ;)

Thanks.

8. faircot

faircot Registered Member

I've just had a freeze with 328. Goodness knows what caused it, I was away from the PC at the time.
    Logs sent.

9. VoodooShield

I will catch up soon, but real quick...

There have been several issues that cause VS to freeze, and I think most of the bugs have been fixed, but obviously there is at least one more that still needs to be fixed.

I am starting to think that the last freeze issue is caused by UAC's "Windows Protected Folders" feature... I hope I am saying that correctly.

For example, when UAC is ON, the user (and VS) does not have permission to access certain Windows folders, such as C:\Windows\Temp. Probably what is happening is VS is trying to determine, for example, the hash or digital signature of a file in one of these protected folders... and when it does not have access to the file, it freezes. If so, we can fix this, and VS will still work with UAC, but we need to be able to reliably reproduce this error in order to fix it.

If this turns out to be the case, then hopefully people will start to understand how UAC is an endless source of frustration for developers.

Some users experience the freeze issue and some never do.

So my question is... is there anyone who experiences the freeze issue AND has UAC off? Thank you!

10. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

UAC set to max on two machines, VS froze on one.

11. Cache

Cache Registered Member

VS used to insist (or was it recommend) that UAC be turned off. Whilst it is still in Beta, perhaps that should be a requirement again until this freezing issue is sorted for good.

12. Dan protected processes cause the same issues, did you try to block a protected program?

13. boredog

boredog Registered Member

DOESN"T VOODOSHIELD DISSABLE UAC ON INSTALL? seems to me last time I tried it did that.

14. Cache

Cache Registered Member

No, hasn't done for ages. Anyway, Dan would hardly be referring to UAC as an issue if it was disabled! :)

15. Elwe Singollo

Elwe Singollo Registered Member

Hope you're right to move on from this issue but just to report I've never experienced a freeze and always had UAC at max on Win 10 x 64 from very early V3 builds.

Cheers

16. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

If UAC was at fault wouldn't VS have froze on both of my machines? Both machines were prompted almost simultaneously for dismhost.exe, yet VS only froze on one machine. :doubt:

17. VoodooShield

Cool, thank you Krusty... I just had VS freeze on a Windows 7 system with UAC set to OFF. Man, I wish we could find just one simple way to reliably reproduce this bug because I am certain it is a super easy bug to fix.

18. VoodooShield

Good point, but I just had VS freeze on me with UAC set to OFF. Thank you though!

19. VoodooShield

Hey Kees,

I am not exactly sure what you mean... did you find a way to make VS freeze quickly (basically on demand)? If so, please let me know how to do it! Thank you!

20. VoodooShield

We used to have to disable UAC for VS to work properly, but that was a long time ago. From what I remember, ever since VS 2.0 we were not required to disable UAC. Overall, I think UAC and VS work well together, but there is just one last bug that we need to isolate. Thank you!

21. VoodooShield

Maybe, but you just never know. Like for example, if you knew for absolute certain that each machine ran the exact same processes, then I would say yes. But that is the thing... the bug is not very consistent, which makes it difficult to isolate ;). Thank you!

22. VoodooShield

Oh, I see what you mean Kees, thank you! Let me see if I can track down a protected processes that causes this issue.

23. VoodooShield

I see, that's good to know, thank you!

24. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Dan,

Somthing strange has happened to VS. On one machine when I opened Chrome VS prompted for Software Reporter Tool but so far it does not look like it has frozen. So I went to my other machine and VS Gadget and SysTray icon flashed then turned white. I expected to be prompted for Software Reporter tool on this machine also.

White VS.PNG

It is still white now.

Edit: And yes, VoodooShield has frozen.

25. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

VoodooAi network error.png
    Or,
    Description:
    A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: AppHangB1
    Application Name: VoodooAi.exe
    Application Version: 1.0.0.0
    Application Timestamp: 575a46ad
    Hang Signature: 100f
    Hang Type: 134480128
    OS Version: 6.3.9600.2.0.0.768.101
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Hang Signature 1: 100f7b41a67679930bba455eb46e5a6d
    Additional Hang Signature 2: 623d
    Additional Hang Signature 3: 623d7567fb25f47a0bff4bf3bd62a81c
    Additional Hang Signature 4: 100f
    Additional Hang Signature 5: 100f7b41a67679930bba455eb46e5a6d
    Additional Hang Signature 6: 623d
    Additional Hang Signature 7: 623d7567fb25f47a0bff4bf3bd62a81c

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.