VoodooShield/Cyberlock

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by CloneRanger, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Sir Percy

Sir Percy Registered Member

Yes 2.23c, working well so far on W8.1 as did the 2.23b build.

2. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Thanks Dan
    Seems to be ok now, and it is now in 2.23c

3. Dan,

ASLR enabled works well :thumb:

When you target VoodooShield at the "maybe security aware, but non-geek" users (at least I think that is what you are trying to convince me in your website): why would such a user want to buy the paid version? Why would such a user want something else as the smart mode and default settings?

Regards Kees

4. javagreen

javagreen Registered Member

Does VoodooShield work with AppGuard and MBAE? Or do they overlap?

5. VoodooShield

VoodooShield Registered Member

Thank you guys!

Yeah, I know what you mean about the free version Kees, and I completely agree. I personally think we offer way too much in the free version, but some people do not think we offer enough ;). To make a long story short, I have talked with a few different key people in the security software field, and they all strongly recommended that we offer a free version that included enough features so that is was usable. They basically said it was a very tough market, and that the only hope of success was to make it free.

So we are switching gears and have some pretty cool plans for VS. And now that I have some help, I think things will go really well.

That is cool that ASLR and DEP are working, thank your mentioning that! For some reason VS seems to be working even better now with that corrected... so thank you!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  6. VoodooShield

Hey javagreen! Yeah, VS works great with AG... CET knows a lot more about this then I do. As far as MBAE goes... there used to be a bug / conflict between the two, but I believe it is fixed now. As long as the bug is fixed, then I would think that running the two together would be great. MBAE basically targets exploits, whereas VS is basically a toggling desktop shield gadget / computer lock that blocks anything that was not previously allowed when all web apps were closed ;). This does include the payloads from exploits, but it does not hurt to have several layers of protection. I will install MBAE on my main machine to see how well they do together. If you try it, please let me know how it does. If you want a VS Pro license, please email us at support@voodooshield.com. Thank you!

7. VoodooShield

Sounds great, thank you. Please let me know if it acts up again!

8. VoodooShield

9. smith2006

smith2006 Registered Member

10. siketa

siketa Registered Member

Vote for B.

11. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

B is my choice.

12. Well I seem to have found out (could be a bug, see picture, since it is beta). :cautious: After a block this nag screen pops-up after every re-boot.

I would only offer smart mode in free and offer block or allow (skip sandboxed option in free) and include the call to action message in the simplified pop-up, in stead of nagging the user.

Untitled.png

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2015
  13. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Definitely B.

14. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

15. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

B is my choice.

16. WildByDesign

WildByDesign Registered Member

A or C depending on which scales better at small size as well for tray icon. Example A with thinner text will likely be more legible at small size.

17. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

B also here

18. SweX

SweX Registered Member

B or C

19. Sir Percy

Sir Percy Registered Member

20. VoodooShield

Cool, thank you guys for letting me know what you think on the shield!

21. VoodooShield

Hehehe, yeah, the free version has a nag screen, but it is only set to display on Wednesdays (and only if VS has blocked something where a threat was detected). So that is why you are getting that!

Please let me know if you want me to set up a VS Pro account for you. Just email me at support@voodooshield.com and I will set that up for you. Thank you!

22. Okay, thanks how do you know it is me, contacting you?

Fee advice in regard nag-screeen

1. Include show weekly report option in the settings (which you can't change using the free version).

2. Makes more sense to show it on friday after 16.00 local time (home users will be starting to get on-line).

3. Show it as a tray pop-up (with the info that you can disable this in the settings), so it looks like a regular program function to inform its users.

Explanation.
    When you get something for free and it works well, people tend to feel good about it and feel smart. So they are very satisfied with their 'find' this might trigger three reactions:

1. You are buying the full product because this offers more .... Your marketing department has to work on this, because this is not evident up front (that is why I suggested to skip sandbox and only provide smart mode).

2. You are happy and spreading the good news to friends that the nerd has done it, no boring bla bla this time, but a usefull tip, a very good free program. So the free rider is not going to buy, but he / she (probably he) is going to sell for you. Now when he/she is confronted with the nag screen, this tip to friends intended to increase his status on the social ladder just back fired and now he has to confess he was wrong and Voodoo Shield nag-screen has created an enemy troll on social media.

3. You are happy, but lazy and economical (or cheap) and will keep using the free version. After finding out of the nag-screen this new user will feel screwed and will de-install and when asked warn friends not to use it.

Bottem line
    Now estimate the conversion rate on every new customer which responds positively to the nag screen and buys your product. At a conversion rate of (let's be optimistic) 4 out of 100, you will create a multitude of nah-sayers and a handful of trolls nagging your brand reputation. Imagine what this will do to your brand (or goodwill) with a conversion rate of 1 out of 1000. I bet the people advicing you did not have hard data on the positive sales effect of nag-screens.

Regards Kees

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2015
  23. MrGump

MrGump Registered Member

24. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

I vote B

25. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

I have the latest beta installed (running alongside SecureAPlus) and it is running fine so far! I love the new look of the expanded settings gui, forgive me if this has been discussed, but how do I use the commandline feature?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.