VoodooShield/Cyberlock

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by CloneRanger, Dec 7, 2011.

1. VoodooShield

VoodooShield Registered Member

Sounds good, I am downloading it now and I will check it out. They must be using a cmd or something on the uninstall, we will see.

2. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Ok - my fault. Didn't know this had changed.

3. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

I have been playing around with some other browsers eg. Waterfox, Sleipnir and noticed that when in Smart Mode VS does not switch to On. I think you said that the browsers are hard wired in the program and maybe that is why it is not detecting. Perhaps you could clarify this.

4. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I just installed 1.26.3, and VS's tray icon loaded this time after rebooting to complete the installation, but Appguard, and Eset Smart Security's tray icon did not load. I did not have a problem with this before. Is there anyway VS could have caused there tray icon to not load? I'm going to reboot now, and see if they load after rebooting again.

5. Cutting_Edgetech

After rebooting Appguard, and Eset Smart Security's tray icons loaded this time.

6. Cutting_Edgetech

Version 1.26.3 seems to have fixed the issue with not being able to allow an executable from the the ballon prompt. I can now allow exe files when I choose allow from the prompt. This was probably the biggest bug I have seen introduced in a while so i'm glad to see it's gone now.

VS activates it's protection promptly in Smart Mode now when a USB device is inserted or a Web Browser is opened.

VS now indicates the correct reason for it's protection being enabled in Smart Mode when it's protection was initially enabled due to a USB device being inserted. Before if you opened a web browser while the USB protection was enabled then it would remove the USB from the shield, and when the we browser was closed it would continue to not show the USB on the shield even though the protection continued to be enabled due to that very reason.

VS is still blocking some applications on my whitelist, and giving me the ballon option to allow them. I will try to start keeping a log of these applications, and the location of the blocked application. Well, it's either that or VS is not successfully adding them to the whitelist in learning mode. I just added them to the whitelist in learning mode the previous day. Has anything been changed with the method of adding applications to the whitelist that could be causing them not to be added to the list in the cloud on VS website? I see a button to backup whitelist to cloud now which I have ticked. Does this mean VS can now save the whitelist locally without using the cloud if this option is unticked?

7. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

I opened regedit while VS was in smart mode and it blocks it, and if I put it in training mode and open regedit then put VS back in smart mode VS kills regedit immediately o_O

8. VoodooShield

Yeah, there are 6 boxes the bottom of the "Custom" tab in Settings. You can add whatever you would like there. We have been meaning to add a huge list of all the web apps, but I think we have a better solution that we will implement soon. So for now, VS just toggles with the standard web apps, unless you add them in settings.

9. VoodooShield

Yeah, sometimes security software doesn't play well together.

10. VoodooShield

That is great that the bugs are going away!

Nothing that I can think of has been changed in the whitelisting section. I think once we see the list of apps that VS is not whitelisting, it will be obvious to us why it is not whitelisting them. Please either post or pm me the list when you have it.

Well, that backup to cloud option just turns off the feature where VS backs up the whitelist to the cloud. For example, if you uncheck that option, VS will not add the items to the cloud whitelist. But say a week later, if you check that option, it will send all of the new items to the cloud whitelist. Does that make sense?

11. VoodooShield

Yes, that is because it is blacklisted. You can change this on the Tweaks tab in settings.

12. VoodooShield

Ok, I finally got a chance to check into this. Basically, VS seems to be working correctly. During the uninstall, VS blocked c:\users\dan\appdata\local\temp\_iu14d2n.tmp in Smart Mode since it was protecting the user space. It is always best to put VS in Training Mode or Disable Protection when you are uninstalling software, or performing similar system maintenance.

If VS blocks something in Smart Mode, and the user clicks "Allow", VS will turn OFF until it is turned on again by Auto Reactivation or if the user goes back to a web app.

I hope this helps, if not, please let me know, thank you!

13. Cutting_Edgetech

Does disable protection from the tray icon completely disable all protection? Does it stop protecting the userspace as well?

14. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Yes I did know about that but was not sure how many were covered.

The trouble about the adding programs it that is fine if you know about it, but some may not be aware of this facility. Good to hear you have an alternative approach in the offing.

15. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Ok - understood. But if you click Allow when VS blocks it should not stay on the screen. The expected process is that it should allow the procedure to continue or bring up some suitable message for the user.

16. Overkill

Does anyone here feel a little sluggishness with VS? I can tell the difference in responsiveness when VS is installed and when it's not...I hope this can be fixed somehow?
    It's not real bad but it is noticeable

I don't know if it's unique to my laptop, but everytime I un-install VS my temp drops atleast 10-15 degrees (it went from the mid 50's to mid 30's on idle)...at first I wasn't sure, but i've un-installed it a few times and I see a noticeable difference in responsiveness and temperature afterwards.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  17. VoodooShield

Disable Protection shuts VS completely down, like it is not running at all... it will not even whitelist currently running processes until the use selects another mode. The only thing it is doing is waiting to prompt the user to turn it back on after 10 minutes (or whatever it is set to).

18. VoodooShield

Exactly, a lot of users do not know about this feature, and it is impossible to add every single web app. We are going to add a feature where VS detects programs that use http, and ask the user if they would like VS to toggle in Smart Mode when using these programs. We will probably also add a tab in settings that lists these programs so users can select which programs toggle VS in Smart Mode.

19. Cutting_Edgetech

I have been shutting VS down when installing new software, and updates. I have preferred doing that instead of placing VS in training mode. I don't know why I have not noticed disable protection before. I will start using that instead for installing new software, and updates.

20. VoodooShield

True, but we run into a problem when VS blocks something that is not user launchable, like the c:\users\dan\appdata\local\temp\_iu14d2n.tmp processes. With the exception of cmd and msi files, I believe this only happens when the user is uninstalling a program. If this is the case, what we might do is have VS alert the user when they are uninstalling software, and ask if they are intentionally uninstalling software, and if so, put VS is training mode temporarily. So yes, we need to figure out a way to make this part more user friendly. Thank you!

21. VoodooShield

What is the CPU utilization of VS in Smart and Always ON modes on your laptop? I read a post on a Russian website where a user was experiencing the issue of their laptop heating up a little too. You can adjust the Detection Rate in Settings / Tweaks, this should help a lot. Just move the slider to the right about 5% to 10% or so, and click Save and Close. Then just make sure VS kills unknown processes fast enough. Eventually we will hopefully make this auto adjusting based on the CPU, and it should fix the issue. Thank you!

22. VoodooShield

Sounds good. We just added that mode recently.

23. Cutting_Edgetech

When I use Disable protection mode there is nothing on the desktop gadget or tray icon distinguishing it from training mode or smart mode. I would recommend making the desktop gadget say Disabled instead of Off to distinguish it from training mode or smart mode. Since the tray icon is too small to show any kind of text i'm not sure what to do about that unless you make the tray icon, and gadget turn dark gray when operating in disable protection mode. The only other option I can think of is making training mode, and smart mode yellow instead of red. Then make disable protection mode red. I think that would work well also. Yellow can be a little tough on the eyes though. Always On mode could stay the same color it is or you could make it green. Many user's would already be familiar with that due to traffic lights. Blue or green for Always On Mode, Yellow for Smart Mode / Training Mode, Red for Disable Protection Mode. Maybe I should do a survey on the options to see what other user's think. My preference would be to make the desktop gadget, and tray icon gray when in disabled protection mode with the gadget saying disabled instead of off. If you want me to do a survey then I can give several different options for the user's to vote on.

I don't use the the desktop gadget many times because if i'm watching videos in full screen mode the gadget does not fade into the background so I hide it. If there's some way to detect when the user is watching a video in full screen mode then I would suggest making the desktop gadget fade into the background or at least give an option for it in the settings.

24. Overkill

That's interesting...so the detection rate has alot to do with the cpu/ram usage?
    Usually VS uses around 10 mb give or take a bit more at times and the cpu is around 3-5% usually.

25. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

That sounds good Dan - I think better than having to incorporate all and sundry browsers into the code.

Appreciate the problems but so long as the user is alerted and not left pondering, then that should cope with the problem.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.