Volume won't work

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Canbguy, Oct 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Canbguy

Canbguy Registered Member

Hi all

Would anyone know what may be causing my volume control not to work. I can open it up ok, but I find that the volume is set to the low position. If I drag it up with the mouse it just goes back to the low position??

2. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Hello Canbguy, and Welcome to Wilder's!

Do you get the same result if you adjust from the keyboard? When did you become aware of the problem,
    did you do something like update a program, install a new program, or adjust some settings?

Open volume properties and make sure volume is on and no options are being muted. If those check out.......
    Try this (you didn't mention your OS o_O ). Open "device manager" in system properties,
    hardware tab and find the sound or audio descriptions (below view, xp OS)

http://img100.exs.cx/img100/3513/Capture9-27-2004-102948PM10-20-2004-91543PM1.gif

From here double-clk one item at a time that relates to your systems volume to reach this screenie
    that will assist in troubleshooting. If there's a problem, "devise status" may provide a clue.

http://img100.exs.cx/img100/9243/Capture9-27-2004-102948PM10-20-2004-92117PM.gif

One last thought, check ALL your other audio software programs and confirm
    the volume's are at least set halfway and they're not muted.

A few more details might help.....​

GF

3. Canbguy

Canbguy Registered Member

Hi GlobalForce

Thanx very much for taking the time to reply. You're right, I should probably have given a little more info, but I didn't want it to be a long winded entry.

I had originally posted it to the "virus" section as that's what I believe it may be, but someone moved it to the software section.

I have a HP nx9110 Notebook, running XP Pro. I haven't loaded any new programs, or updated any, etc. What I was silly enough to do thou was lend my computer to my Sister for the weekend :)

If I use the manual volume up key on the computer it turns the mute on. If I use it again, it turns the mute off. Either way, it doesn't bring the sound volume up at all. As I said in the opening post for help, I can drag the volume up with my mouse but the moment I let go it just "floats" slowly back down.
    I can get it to stay "up" if I keep pushing it back up with the mouse, but the moment I stop it returns to the bottom.

Another problem that seems to have occured at about the same time is that I am no longer able to select blocks of text with my mouse, to cut or copy to other programs. I can manually do it by using the "Shift" key and selecting at either end of the text, but I cannot just run my mouse over it whilst holding down the L/H mouse button.

Any help would be great :)

4. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

I'm on a notebook also. Can you access the properties from the systemtray?
    If so, take a look and check the settings. Is this a touchpad or external mouse? If it's external, is it a logitech?

I'm addressing your other issue as we speak....
    In the meantime, here's HP Support. You should go ahead and pose you issue in addition.

While you're at it, run over here for a check,
    http://housecall.antivirus.com/.

Go here, you'll need to have active controls enabled. Let their script run. Note the results!
    Don't forget to re-protect your browser...

GF

Last edited: Oct 21, 2004
  5. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

I've seen similar problem with the application of SP2.

6. Chopsaw

Chopsaw Registered Member

I notice the same behavior on toshiba laptops after applying sp2 ... toshiba and hp share drivers and utilities ... i was suprised to notice that a failure in the usb controllers was the connection.

I used the usb ports by coincidence because i hated the touch-pad and wanted to use a laser mouse to speed things up and the device was not detected. Starting and stopping the plug and play service in computer managment brought no error so xp wasn't at fault.

after installing the updated drivers from hp on the toshiba the sound and usb issues were both resolved

just somethig to try here ... i'm probibly wrong

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.