Volume Shadow Copy (VSS) Causing Server to Hang/ Freeze

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by sentrum, Jan 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sentrum

sentrum Registered Member

Hi Acronis Support,

We have noticed this same problem on multiple servers (2003 Standard and 2003SBS) using multiple different builds of ATI Server 9.1.

The problem is that occassionally (it varies, sometimes once per week, sometimes once per month) the server totally freezes during the backup process. Typically the screen is totally blank and the only way to bring it back to life is to remove the power from the server to do a hard reboot.

There seems to be a similar forum thread on this at https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=146431 but it goes off the topic a little.

We can assure you that the freezing is a direct result of having VSS on and we are now at the point where we have disabled VSS on nearly all the servers taht we have ATI installed on (which has resolved the problem). This is something we are not happy with at all, especially seeing as the VSS functionality is one of the features we like most about ATI.

The images in the attachment are the last log entries on one of these servers, after that is when the server becomes unresponsive.

Please note, this has happenned on many servers using many of your builds so there must be some underlying issues with your VSS component.

Can you please investigate?

Attached Files:

2. far182

far182 Registered Member

We have been seeing this exact problem on many servers. We ended up having to disable VSS and script the stop of databases until a solution is found. Acronis is out of line and there is no excuse for this problem to not be resolved.

3. sentrum

Yes, we are in the same situation, having to resort to stop/start scripts.

We really need to see this one solved please Acronis.

4. far182

far182 Registered Member

I belong to a group of companies (100's of companies) that make up 1000's and 1000's of acronis server licenses. I personally own over 1,000 licenses.

We as a group have stressed to Acronis this problem over 4 months ago. And still.... no solution.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello sentrum and far182,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Server Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

To investigate the issue we will need some additional information from you. Please download the latest version of Acronis drivers (the one in the thread you mentioned are not the latest version), unpack the archive, install unpacked MSI package and see if the problem persists.

If the issue persists, please do the following:

- Replace C:\WINDOWS\system32\snapapi.dll with the one from the downloaded SnapAPI archive;

- Reproduce the issue and collect the log file;

- Get the log file without closing any application windows (including the error message windows if there are any). The log file will be created at C:\ . The name of the log file will be snapapi [date-time].log

Please also collect the user.dmp and drwtsn32.log (if any) the way described in this previous post of mine

Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

far182, could you please let me know your Acronis request # which was sent to you in autoreply to your letter? I will find out how the investigation of your issue is going and provide you with the further instructions, if necessary. Also, if you have not done it already collect the above requested information and sent it to Acronis Support.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

6. sentrum

Hi Aleksandr,

Thank you for the reply.

I had a feeling that you were going to reply with a request for masses of debug info. I stated clearly that this happens:
    *On a number of different servers
    *Using different Acronis builds
    *Spiratically (sometimes monthly, sometimes weekly)

Therefore, i am confident you will be able to reproduce this yourself, we have already spent large amounts of time on this issue.

I look forward to hearing more from you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.