volume has changed after image backup

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by wildcargo, Mar 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wildcargo

wildcargo Registered Member

Please Help.

I have tried TI 10 And TI 11

I have 2 hard drives in the computer
    drive 1 has 2 partitions / partition one is Vista and Partition 2 is Storage
    Drive 2 is the place that i store my TI Image backups on,,
    I am able to Image Drive 1 with both partitions vista and storage and save the
    file to the Drive 2 TI backup folder.. After the restore of the image including the
    partition 1 and 2 and the mbr. and a reboot all is fine.. no errors,
    a true image has been done,

THE PROBLEM is when i try to restore just one partition from that same image .when i
    do the restore i chose to restore just the partition 1 of drive 1 . that being the Vista
    partition. i chose just the box to restore just that part of the full image. i do notice that
    the info just before the restore i see that the size of the volume is not the same,

Restoring From An Image Backup

Disk Partition Recovery from Archive
    From file:"D: \test.tib"

Operation 1 of 2
    Deleting partition
    Hard disk:1
    Drive letter:C:
    File system:NTFS
    Volume label:Vista Volume
    Size:9.766 GB

Operation 2 of 2
    Restoring partition
    Hard disk:1
    Drive letter:C:
    File system:NTFS
    Volume label:Vista Volume
    Size:9.766 GB -> 9.773 GB [I THINK THIS IS THE PROBLEM]

If you see the at the bottom the size changes from 9.766 to 9.773
    and the image that is restored is not the same that was made,,
    so when i reboot from the restore. i get a pop-up about the volume has changed

when i use other imaging software,, i get a true image... please help.. i have tried this
    in vista and using the CD recovery disk.. will this be fixed in the next build.. or
    can this build be fixed PLEASE HELP... I have had no problems if i image the full drive with
    all partitions being imaged and restored, and saying OK during the restore that the partitions
    will be removed and replaced during restore,, there are times i just want to restore
    partitions and not the full drive.. THANKS

PS. When using ghost 14 or paragon it works fine. but they don't do all the tricks that acronis does

2. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

wildcargo:

This is related to the new partitioning standard that Vista uses. The new standard was designed to accommodate future hard disks with larger sector sizes. If Vista was originally used to create the partitions on your disk then they will have a 2048-sector offset. In other words, there will be 2048 sectors (1 MiB) between the start of the disk and the start of the first partition.

Up until now, disks have been partitioned with a 63-sector offset, or 63 sectors (32 kiB) between the start of the disk and the start of the first partition. Most partitioning software has not yet caught up to the newer standard.

When you restore an entire disk image with TI it will keep the original partition table so the 2048-sector offset will be preserved. If, however, you only restore one partition then TI will conform to the older, established offset of 63-sectors and the restored partition will be moved to the left by (1 Mib - 32 kiB). As a result it will be slightly smaller after restoration, and as you have noted, the GUID of the volume (which depends on the starting sector) will change.

If you restore only the partition once and let it get moved and let the volume ID get changed, then subsequent restores will go to the exact same location and the volume ID will not change any more. So you can do this once and be done with it. Vista will be perfectly happy to run in 63-sector offset partitions. In fact, many of us prefer to run it that way because we can use all of the older partitioning tools without worry.

Apparently Ghost 14 and Paragon must have adopted methods to deal with the large-sector offset in their products but Acronis has not yet done so. During this transitional period (as far as I know there are no commercial disks yet with large-sector support), personally I'd rather stick to the older, established 63-sector offset standard because most of today's tools can be used without fear of corrupting Vista partitions. If you keep the newer 2048-sector offset then you cannot make changes to the partitions without using the proper tool or you risk causing corruption. For example, using Windows XP Disk Management to create new partitions on a 2048-sector offset Vista system can result in corruption of partitions and potential data loss.

3. wildcargo

Hi Mark,,, I want to thank you very much for the time.. The support at acronis is the worst ever.. they email you a week later.and the clown wanted me to install a aspi exe fix... i had a few more questions for you.. you are the only one that i have been able to get the TRUE info on the [volume has changed ] problem.. i am able to make good backups using the CD from paragon and acronis. as long as i make a full image of the drive...I wanted to see what you use for backup if you wanted to restore just a partition of that full drive image.. I have vista Sp1 and it works much better that the first vista..I have set my computer up with vista Sp1 .. and all drives are setup and partitioned and formatted during the install..i then have been able to install winXp on the second partition and then use vista boot loader pro 3.3 the get the dual boot back..I know its been said that xp should be installed first,, but this way i can remove the xp on the second partition when the software has caught up. and have no use for xp.. what are your views.... THANKS FOR THE HELP

4. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

I am using TI 10 build 4942 on Vista SP1. Usually I only restore one partition at a time. Since my partitions were created back when this machine ran WinXP, they have the older 63-sector offset. So I do not encounter the issue you are seeing. Each restore puts the partition back exactly in the same place so there are no volume GUID changes.

I am not dual-booting this machine (I do on my laptop; XP Tablet Edition and Linux). If your dual-boot setup is working properly then I wouldn't worry.

It is good to have a couple of full-disk images so that you can return to a known working state if things get really messed up. Doing a full-disk restore will also restore the partition table as it existed when the image was created.

Like I mentioned in my previous post, you can restore each partition one at a time and just let TI move the partition alignment as it restores. Once you have done this for each partition then further restores will not result in any moving or shrinking of the partitions, so the volume GUID change problem will go away.

5. wildcargo

Hi Mark..

Thanks so much...let me ask you this.. lets say i do away with a fresh install of vista being the os that i set up all my drives with,, and i start all new with windows xp with the 63-sector offset partitions and setup both my drives in Xp and then reinstall vista. like i have been told to do in the past,, with the 63-sector offset partitions being used will i be ok when trying to restore just one partition of the full hard drive image,,THANKS

6. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Yes, that will work. As long as XP creates the partitions, then they will have 63-sector offset. You can format partitions with Vista, and install Vista to an existing partition, just don't create any partitions with Vista.

However, that's a lot of work to reinstall everything from scratch. Since your system is set up and working properly now, you can accomplish single-partition restores without movement by doing this:

1. Create a full-disk image with TI.
    2. Restore only the Vista partition (forcing realignment). Reboot.
    3. Restore only the XP partition (forcing realignment). Reboot.

If this is done once then future restores will not move partition locations.

7. wildcargo

Thanks Mark...I must say the support at acronis is <Offensive comment removed. - Ron>
    Infact i just downloaded the new echo for windows build and did a test and they still have not fixed the problem

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2008
  8. truthseeker

truthseeker Former Poster

I am surprised at this comment. For me personally, Acronis has provided very good support. Prompt (never longer than 48hours wait time). And the support recommendations work.

9. wildcargo

Good For you Truthseeker. <Offensive comment removed. - Ron> The support via email sucks. I am sorry/ i just checked my email.. and i have a support msg that i asked for help on 2 weeks ago. and the info did not fix the problem. I guess i still can use the pics

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.