volume control gone+sound card not working

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by nicholasmjb, Dec 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicholasmjb

nicholasmjb Registered Member

I have windows 98. My volume control is gone and it says I have no sound card. Can anyone help?

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

It sounds like your audio drivers may have become corrupted if you have your os install disc you might be able to reinstall your audio drivers from that. If not post what audio card you have and I can run a search and maybe find a download for you.

3. nicholasmjb

How do I find out what my audio driver is?

4. bigc73542

Hopefully If you look in your system information which is probably located in your control panel. It has been awhile since I have used win 98 but I believe it is there. Depending on what brand of computer you have, under audio it should have a line with the version of your audio driver a related info.

5. nicholasmjb

Is it Wave device for Modem?

6. bigc73542

This screen shot is for xp but for 98 it will look similar. This was in system info.

Attached Files:

7. nicholasmjb

I'm not sure what a sure shot is. Can you help me?

8. bigc73542

under the information about my computer in this post you will see a text line that says realtec ac97 audio.
    In your system information on your computer there will be a text line that is similar but with your audio driver type.If you have ac97 audio We will have to know which company made the drivers for it . There are quite a few companies that did produce them and we want to get the right ones.Sorry to be confusing but you are the one that will have to look in your comp to see which ones you have. Don't give up ,just take a deep breath and go to control panel and then system and see if there is an audio or sound tab. If there is it should give you the option to click on audio properties or something similar and see what drivers are installed even if they are corrupted you should still be able to see which one you have. Good luck let me know what you find and we will see about getting your drivers

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.