Volume C in use

Discussion in 'Paragon Partition Manager Product Line' started by cryptogram, Mar 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cryptogram

cryptogram Registered Member

I've installed Partition Manager on a friend's computer (D Drive) to change the relative sizes of partitions. However, when I click GO after I've used the wizard to set up what I want to happen, I get a message saying that Volume C is in use and to close any files. Well, there aren't any files open except maybe the Manager itself. I've never had this problem before. What's up?

2. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

It is normal behavior if system partition (C) is involved to resize operation.

All partitioning operations with C: are always performed in Blue Screen mode or from Recovery CD.
    The System partition is always locked by Windows itself.

I would recommend you to make resize from Recovery CD of Partition Manager:
    1. Create Recovery CD via Recovery Media Builder
    2. Boot From Recovery CD
    * Select Normal Mode
    * run Partition manager
    * run Express-resize partitions wizard
    * set the desired changes
    * press Apply to perform operation.
    Once completed, eject the CD and restart. The changes will be done.

3. cryptogram

Thanks Mech An. Can I make a recovery disk using another computer or should it be made with the one whose partitions I want to resize?

4. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

You can make the paragon recovery cd on any pc.

5. cryptogram

OK Thanks. What I find very strange is that I have previously altered the partitions on two computers and never have made a recovery disk first. Although it is entirley logical that Volume C is in use when you have P Manager on screen, it never seems to have been a problem before! That's why I don't have a recovery disk. How did I manage?

6. cryptogram

I've made a boot disc and tried it but don't seem to be offered the same options as if I use the software off the hard drive. In the latter case I'm able to change the size of one partition by giving it some space from another (can't actually go through with this because of it's being on the very drive I want to alter - but at least the option is visible). If I boot from a disc the option is not there. I can change the size of a partition, but not by giving from one to another. I just seem to lose some space. What do I do?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.