vnc in cafe

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by iceni60, Oct 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i haven't thought about computer security for a few years. today i was in an internet cafe with a friend, he connected to gmail, i told him that was safe in an internet cafe as it used https and made sure to logout (and i deleted all the cookies afterward lol)

i noticed one of the icons the cafe computer was using was vnc, does that make it safe to attacks like mitm? it just got me wondering :doubt: thanks :)

2. katio

katio Guest

With vnc they might have seen what you were looking at, but to get the password they'd need a keylogger as well.
    Both would be basically some kind of MITM attack but you use the term only for network based attacks. Of course they also have the means to conduct a proper MITM as they control the network, but it's a lot harder than VNC or spyware on the computer.

If you are worried, change the password asap. On a public PC security is absolutely impossible. I wouldn't be overly worried though. The reason there's VNC installed is probably only to remotely admin all the PCs and maybe check if someone's doing anything illegal which could get them into troubles.

3. jesusjesus

jesusjesus Registered Member

It's key loggers that is the problem in internet cafe's (assuming you're using one of their computers & not just a wifi signal).

I'd sure like to know of a secure way of using a cafe computer. Just don't there is a safe way.

4. katio

katio Guest

well I have a few ideas...
    - the classic, boot trusted live system. They'll probably not let you do that and kick you out or worse
    - use a one time password to remote connect into a system you control. no privacy, but some security. MITM still possible.
    - use a constructed language to communicate in emails for example only known to you and your contacts, some level of privacy, easy to crack and lots of metadata is plain text.
    - use pen, paper and a deck of playing cards to do encryption. very strong but only of very limited practicability, possible scenario: drop the encrypted message in a public place than no one will know who's the recipient.
    The reason why this is secure is because you don't rely on a system you don't control, it's just a proxy for your pen/paper system ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2010
  5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks for the replies. i'm really enjoying getting back a little in to computers, rather than spending all my computer time watching documentaries and cheap tv shows. thanks for the help, it got me thinking in the right direction :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.