VMWare workstation

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by lodore, Sep 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hello,
    Im wondering why people have purchased WMWare workstation rather than using virtualbox or anyother product?
    I currently use virtualbox and have for a few years now. A few of the features of WMWare do seem good. 1. snapshots. 2. graphics acceleration (virtualbox has it but only experimental) 3. physical to virtual. other than the fact its a paid product the only downside I see is that WMWare workstation has multiple services running in the background where as virtualbox only has one service while the gui is active.

im also wondering how stable WMWare is overall during the time you have it and how seemless the updates have been. I have had quite a few crashes with virtualbox and issues with upgrade installs.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  2. ziaul

ziaul Registered Member

Hi Lodore,
    That's a very good point, but I use it for my networking practices and also sometimes to test new av suites. I even used to use Vbox for my practices, but for some odd reason I switched to Vmware. I think, I was having some issues regarding setting up some servers, but I don't remember exactly what was the reason for the change.

But Vmware is very easy to use compared to Vbox and just a few moments ago I upgraded to version 8 and it has added some great new features.

Thanks,
    Ziaul

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

When I first started, I couldn't get most of the other freebies going, so I tried VMware Workstation, and have never looked back.

The multiple snapshot feature is almost worth the price of admission alone. The multiple services has never been an issue for me.

I've been thru several version and upgrade installation, all done has upgrades, and it has been totally seamless. Not one crash. It is a well engineered piece of software, given it's market would demand that.

Pete

4. ziaul

ziaul Registered Member

Couldn't have said it better. :thumb:

Thanks,
    Ziaul

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  5. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

That makes two of us :)

6. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Echo the good experience with VMWare
    When I first started with using VMs i experimented with VB, then trialed VMWare.
    I ( at that time) found VMWare to be a more mature tool.
    When I count hours of use vs. cost = pretty damn good: plus
    Support
    Community
    Seamless updates
    Cheap upgrades
    Really intuitive software to use...fell right in...hardly had to RTFM at all.
    Compatability with lots of external and third party tools.
    VMWare Market place ( sort of cheating but cool to 'play' :) )
    http://bagside.com/bagvapp/
    Snapshots
    Great 'suspend' tool.

Been as good as FDISR ;)

Actually worth every penny I paid and tax deductible "to boot". ;)

7. 1chaoticadult

1chaoticadult Registered Member

:thumb:

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I have finaly got around to trialing VMware workstation on my main machine.
    its a really nice product.
    i like the way it detects the operating system from the .iso file or real disc and has an easy install option. its nice having accelerated graphics inside the virtual machines.
    I have found one bug which isnt a major one. my host OS is windows 7 home premium and im using a standard user account. when I tick the box to automiatcally update Vmware tools in all virtual machines I get an access error. I assume im meant to get a uac prompt at that point.

9. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

VMWare Workstation is the only one out there worth paying for. The rest is simply crap, IMHO. I've tried VirtualBox and others, but VMWare simply works.

10. ziaul

ziaul Registered Member

+1

Ziaul

11. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Love the snapshot feature. Great for testing out malware with different security. I tried Vbox a few times and wasn't too impressed. Once I trialed VM workstation I knew that it was a keeper.

12. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I use VMware player, which has the second feature. Snapshots aren't necessary when you can just backup the folders. Paragon has free physical to virtual. Works great for me.

13. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

Question...why after i installed Vmware and rebooting my real system i have to log in every time at startup?I am the admin and i don't have any pass set for the account.It's very annoying and can i stop that?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  14. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

If anyone know of any discounts for vmware workstation, let me know.

Thanks and cheers!

15. ziaul

ziaul Registered Member

Please check your inbox.

Ziaul

16. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

When you install VMWare, a VMWare User Group account is made

17. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

Right click on "my computer", click "manage". On the management console go to "Local Users and Groups" > "Users". Over there delete the all users with Vmware name.

18. JoeBlack40

Thank you Meriadoc and Raza.If i delete the Vmware entry,does this affect in any way its functions?

19. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

It shouldn't. To be safe however, you should backup first. I did this about a year ago and it did not cause any problems in the normal working of Vmware workstation.

20. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

I use both. VBox is amazing for freeware, lighter than VMware and I'd recommend it to everyone without hesitation. That said, VMware is better overall (easier to use, more features) - so if money is not an issue VMware is worth it.

The convenience I miss the most when using VBox is the ability to drag and drop files from the real computer to virtual machines. Also USB 3.0 drives don't work in Vbox at the moment unless you connect them to a USB 2.0 port, but that makes testing backup/restore programs with external hard drives or other software that needs to interact with external HDD painfully slow, plus it also means that half my USB ports are unusable in Vbox even with USB 2.0 devices.

21. Trooper

Thanks, need something a bit cheaper though. I will be keeping my eye out.

Cheers!

22. ziaul

ziaul Registered Member

You are welcome my friend and do let me know, if you find something cheaper than this.

Best Regards,
    Ziaul

23. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I like VBox as it,s lighter and has multiple snapshot feature just like Vmware but I am forced to use the vmware player free as i like to test many many products and comodo doesn,t work well in vbox. :mad:

I will be happy if vbox people fix this issue.

24. Trooper

Will do.

Cheers!

25. JoeBlack40

Well.you were lucky.I forgot to backup :D and now i can't create virtual OS,see the screenshot.It seems that a reinstall is the only way.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.