Vmware player vs Virtualbox?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by mattdocs12345, Feb 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Which one is better? What are the differences if any?

2. guest

guest Guest

3. Night_Raven

Night_Raven Registered Member

VMware Player is unusable for me. It lacks any kind of snapshot support, even basic one. When you turn off a machine, changes always get applied/saved. You can't discard them. This is absolutely critical for any virtual machine in my opinion.
    Having proper/full support for snapshots is very nice but not mandatory. However, being able to choose whether to save or not the changes that were made is mandatory.

My 2 cents.

4. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

You can have VMware Player "snapshots"-of sorts by suspending the virtual machine and manually copying the folder to a different location before experimenting/testing. Simply copy the folder back once you want to revert. It's not as elegant and it requires more HD space, but it's acceptable IMO.

5. Night_Raven

Night_Raven Registered Member

To me it isn't acceptable. If I have to go through all that trouble then it means that I am adjusting to the software, whereas it should be the other way round.
    Now, if the software in question is very important to me *and* is one of a kind I would have no other choice. However, in this case there are multiple alternatives, so why should I make life harder when I don't have to? :)

6. dogbite

dogbite Registered Member

I prefer VMware over Virtualbox, I find it easier to set up especially for what is concerned Shared Folders and USB capabilities.
    I am not an heavy user, though.

7. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

I understand, I have the same opinion when it comes to Virtualbox: it doesn't have proper drag and drop support which is a deal breaker for me (more so than lack of a proper snapshot feature).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.