Vmware player vs Virtualbox?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by mattdocs12345, Feb 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Which one is better? What are the differences if any?

2. guest

guest Guest

3. Night_Raven

Night_Raven Registered Member

VMware Player is unusable for me. It lacks any kind of snapshot support, even basic one. When you turn off a machine, changes always get applied/saved. You can't discard them. This is absolutely critical for any virtual machine in my opinion.
    Having proper/full support for snapshots is very nice but not mandatory. However, being able to choose whether to save or not the changes that were made is mandatory.

My 2 cents.

4. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

You can have VMware Player "snapshots"-of sorts by suspending the virtual machine and manually copying the folder to a different location before experimenting/testing. Simply copy the folder back once you want to revert. It's not as elegant and it requires more HD space, but it's acceptable IMO.

5. Night_Raven

Night_Raven Registered Member

To me it isn't acceptable. If I have to go through all that trouble then it means that I am adjusting to the software, whereas it should be the other way round.
    Now, if the software in question is very important to me *and* is one of a kind I would have no other choice. However, in this case there are multiple alternatives, so why should I make life harder when I don't have to? :)

6. dogbite

dogbite Registered Member

I prefer VMware over Virtualbox, I find it easier to set up especially for what is concerned Shared Folders and USB capabilities.
    I am not an heavy user, though.

7. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

I understand, I have the same opinion when it comes to Virtualbox: it doesn't have proper drag and drop support which is a deal breaker for me (more so than lack of a proper snapshot feature).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.