vmware and virtualbox

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by cet, Jan 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cet

cet Registered Member

I have been using vmware player for some time but I would also like to try the virtualbox.Can these 2 progs be on the same PC or do I have to uninstall vmware player before installing virtualbox.Anyone using both at the same time, any probs conflicts?

2. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

You can have them both installed but you cannot run both at the same time as they confict.

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Installed, yes. Running at the same time, yes ... my experience.
    Did not have issues with VMware Server and VirtualBox churning alongside one another happily. But if you don't have enough ram, fast hard disks or fear something, run them separately.
    Mrk

4. rice4lunch

rice4lunch Registered Member

There's a portable version of virtualbox. ( http://www.vbox.me/ ) You can try it out w/o installing it if you're worried. But I have them both installed on my system w/ no problems so far.

5. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Whenever i ran workstation and virtualbox together at the same time a conflict would occur when they both tried to access the inbuilt hardware virtualization support.

6. raakii

raakii Registered Member

Thanks Rice.

7. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

If I remember correctly, the default for VirtualBox is to NOT use any hardware virtualization support and to rely totally on the software program itself. If you keep that hardware virtualization turned off for VB, you may be able to use both of them together.

Acadia

8. cet

cet Registered Member

Thanks for all the replies.I installed virtualbox but none of the 5 virtual machines worked with it.So I had to uninstall and use vmware player again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.