vLITE

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by DVD+R, Sep 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I used vLite the other day, and ripped out almost 2GB of useless stuff from Vista Ultimate, and narrowed the installation size on my Hard Drive to just 6GB :cool: All the essentials are still there including the Welcome Center, I ripped out
    Priners and Scanners
    Hibernation
    Media Center
    Remote Access
    Voice Control
    Accessability

these alone take up nearly 2GB still leaving the sidebar and all its goodies installed. I have installed Office 2007/Works 9/Microsoft Digital Image/Encarta with Student 2007 and Roxio Easy Media Creator 9 and my 298GB Capacity hard drive reads 285GB Free (13GB used) which includes all updates etc...:cool: which is equivilant to a standard Vista Ultimate install without extra software :cautious:

2. yahoo

yahoo Registered Member

I used to be in favor of nLite and vLite. I used them to trim down XP and Vista. But recently, I realized that these software are potentially troublesome. I have used vLite to trim down Vista Ultimate. Being cautious, I just removed stuffs like games and languages like Japanese, and nothing else. Still, I got problems later on when I tried to install my work related software onto the computer. At the beginning, I thought that must be a Vista compatibility problem. Then I tried to install the system with the original Vista disc, and everything is just fine.

My conclusion is that nLite and vLite may be good. But they may lead to potential problems later on, which can be very confusing. Personally, I do not think it is really that worthwhile, considering larger and larger hard drives are available now.

3. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Using vLite here as well and it did take a few iso's installed into a vm before I thought I had it right.

Bit of frustration as well but just have to get down and try again.:(

Also playing with nLite to slim down XP which is a tad easier than working with Vista.
    http://www.nliteos.com/

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

I am very much a fan of nLite/vLite and would hate to be without them.

My opinion is that its not for the faint of heart. You should understand that removing things can break installation of some programs as well as break general Windows functionality.

My advice (for beginners) is to read teh forums regarding dependencies , remove few things at a time, and dont remove crucial items (marked in red). And some general advice: you should use VMware or similar to test ur ISOs.

5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I gave up on nLite, since I know that WinXPproSP2 has maximum 3 internet-activations and after that a phone-activation of 96 digits.
    I also expect that RyanVM will be terminated by Microsoft, just like AutoPatcher.

So I replaced nLite with an image of an WinXPproSP2 + drivers + wpa (= activated) + wga (= genuine) and use that image each time, when I want to re-install my computer from scratch or on a zero-ed harddisk or on a new harddisk (if that is possible).

I use "XPLite Pro" for removal of components AFTER installation of course and tweaking softwares to replace nLite and Windows Update, if I want a fully patched image.

This way I can restart as many times I want without needing internet/phone-activations anymore.

I will use the same method for softwares with activation, to avoid any second activation, because that's where the possible problems begin, the second one. I really hate that activation stuff, nothing but trouble for the good guys.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2007
  6. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    If you are testing nlited windows, you do not need to activate it...
    Mrk

7. ErikAlbert

True, but I wasn't talking about testing.
    Once your customized Windows CD is tested without any troubles, you have to use it, which means you have to install Windows and activate it within 30 days.

When you have a problem after two months due to streamlining, you have to create another customized Windows CD to avoid that problem in the future.
    New install, another activation, ... until you reached the limit of activations.
    That solution is too limited, at least for me.

I can do my experiments repeatedly without any activation, until WinXPproSP2 is not supported anymore by M$.

8. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Try to find an XP that does not require activation - from the first batches of XP... That's the real gold...
    Mrk

9. ErikAlbert

That is a possible, if I want to waste time on searching such XP.
    In the future I have to buy a new computer + winVISTA + same annoying activation and then there will be no first batch of winVISTA.
    So I better use a solution now, that will work for winVISTA as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.