VLC Releases a Major Update v2.1.0

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Raza0007, Sep 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

Download it from here

2. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

This is annoying. Now with this new VLC, I get the same error during installation I get when trying to update CCleaner/Defraggler/Speccy.

Except this time, I can't uninstall VLC and try a fresh install. Anyone know why I'm getting these "cannot write" errors when trying to update programs?

EDIT: 4th time was the charm, but I'm getting tired of this "Error opening file for writing" error.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  3. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Unlocker helped me many times in situations like that. You could also check security permissions.

4. Wallaby

Wallaby Registered Member

Does "Always reset audio start level to..." work for you guys?
    It always restarts at 100%

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi B randon

Are using appguard. If so did you set it to install?

Pete

6. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Internal updater shows nothing. When is the update gonna be available internally? Or should I download it separately?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  7. niki

niki Registered Member

I downloaded v.2.1.0 and installed over top of the older version. It will uninstall the previous version first and then install the latest. That's how it worked for me.

8. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Thanks for the update :)

I installed over the top as well, and it asked me if I like to uninstall the previous version first or not, like it always does.

9. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

@niki
    Thanks. I guess I'll also follow your way. :)

10. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

In my experience the internal updater is sporadic at best. You can download the installer & run it. It will ask you during the installation process to uninstall the previous version. I have always found that VLC installations run flawlessly. I also uncheck the Mozilla Firefox plugin on installation so it doesn't cause any problems.

11. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

I haven't yet gotten around to updating to the new version, but in my 2.08 it works just fine, set at around 125%. I've found that it needs bumped up a little for DVD's, and down quite a bit (to 75-80%) for most Flash videos.

Too bad they wouldn't add the ability to set different presets for different media, then I wouldn't have to touch it.

12. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

Yep. I always set to Install first, and I am an Administrator account. I also have a problem with folders from programs I download or uninstall having a delay before I can delete them, with them saying I don't have permission. Not sure if the two issues are related.

13. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

That sure can be frustrating, and I don't have easy answer. You might google folder permissions and see what you find.

Pete

14. Raza0007

Has anyone noticed any improvements in the audio with this new version? It seems the same to me.

Also the amount of volume that can be increased using the volume control on VLC has been reduced from 200% to 125%, but interestingly, if you adjust the volume using the mouse scroll wheel, as I do, you can still go as high as 200%. Though I don't recommend it as the sound starts to break on my speakers after 125%.

I am still playing with it, but I just do not understand why other free players audio sound a lot better than VLC's. For example, output from KMplayer sounds a lot better on my system than VLC audio and this is why I use KMPlayer for listening to music. I had thought that VLC had changed this with the new audio engine, but alas, it is still the same old audio.

15. niki

niki Registered Member

True that, have been doing that for so long that I forgot to mention it and you're welcome!

16. niki

niki Registered Member

It'll work fine like that, it'll ask to remove the previous version or not. Have been doing so for ages. And you're welcome.

17. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

@Daveski17 and @niki
    Installed VLC v2.1.0. It was smooth. :D I let it install the Firefox and IE plugins. What use do the plugins have?

18. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Let's you stream online Windows Media, RealMedia, and QuickTime audio/videos. Doesn't always work, but those formats are obsolete due to Flash and HTML5 anyways.

I still have it installed just in case, and to replace my turned off Windows Media Player.

19. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

@J L
    Thanks.:thumb: I'll leave them installed. Will not install them in the next update though.;)

20. Daveski17

I normally uncheck the Firefox plugin on installation. I always do this as it used to cause problems (usually crashes) with both Firefox & SeaMonkey. I don't know if this bug has been resolved but I don't take the chance.

If you wish to do this, just run the installer again but this time uncheck the plugin for Mozilla Firefox.

21. Daveski17

I am not noticing any problems with VLC's sound, but I like SMPlayer as a back up.

22. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

Can this new version read Blu-Ray?

23. Raza0007

There is nothing wrong with VLC's audio, it just not up to par with some of the other free players audio outputs. I just thought that a rewrite of the audio module should have improved something right!

24. Daveski17

I see. I still think that SMPlayer is a good alternative.

25. Raza0007

Yes it is and I also have KMPlayer as a backup on my system, but VLC has still been my default go to player for the last 8 or so years. I am used to it, and know all the shortcuts and configurations etc. The only thing I do not like about it is the audio module, and sometimes its handling of HD videos, but otherwise it a good free media player.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.