VLC & 3GP files

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Daveski17, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I have recently re-installed VideoLAN VLC player after a six month hiatus. I wasn't using it much as QuickTime can play 3GP files (from a mobile phone usually) with sound & vision, unfortunately VLC didn't, as they told me on their forum as there was some codec problem (only vision). However it does now!!

"Most excellent VLC" :thumb: :cool:

2. guest

guest Guest

VLC media player FTW. "It plays everything!" and I don't really think there is a better or more complete free alternative.

I always install it, though I don't use it for playing music (mp3 files) as foobar2000 seems more appropriate for this particular use (foobar2000 is lighter).

3. Daveski17

Yeah, it seriously rocks! :cool: I used to use QuickTime (on Windows) to watch 3gp files. It's OK but is nowhere near as good as VLC.

4. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Never had any problems playing 3gp files with vlc.

5. Daveski17

Odd, because on their site they told me that VLC could only play vision & not audio on 3gp last year. o_O

Maybe they don't know what they're on about. I never managed to get vision & sound with 3gp files from my mobile on three different computers. When I asked the VLC blokes about this they told me that it was to do with proprietary codecs (I think, it was a while ago).

Maybe there are different forms of 3gp files. QuickTime could always play sound & vision on 3gp.

Now VLC can play both. :thumb:

6. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

I find kmplayer can compete vlcplayer ... even potplayer ... give thema try too

7. Daveski17

Yeah, they look pretty good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.