Visual C++ okay for security apps?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by bellgamin, Apr 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bellgamin

bellgamin Very Frequent Poster

When I installed a certain firewall that I trialed today, it loaded Visual C++ runtime files. Obviously the FW is at least partly written in Visual C++.

Over the years I have installed MANY security apps and not one of them has ever before required Visual C++ runtime files. Therefore, I have some QUESTIONS...

1- Is Visual C++ *secure*?

2- Does Visual C++ have any significant adverse impact on execution speed, drag on cpu, etc.

3- If Visual C++ is a *good way to go*, why is this certain FW the only security app that uses it (as far as I know).

2. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

I have noticed avast! using it too during installation. Also, if you check your add-remove programs list before and after installing Antivir, you will find that it also relies on VC++.

3. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

Visual C++ run time libraries are from MS and totally secure, if you install Visual Studio, they are part of install.

4. vlk

vlk AV Expert

Pretty much ALL major security applications today are compiled in Microsoft Visual C++.

I mean, pretty much all security applications are written in C++, and Visual C++ is the de-facto standard.

5. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

just out of curiosity, do u know of any security programs that ARE NOT written in Visual C++? this question is for everyone else as well. :)

6. Syncman9

Syncman9 Registered Member

I thought C# was taking over from C++, but with .Net it doesn't matter anymore, you could write in VB and still make use the C++ libraries if you wish.

Besides, aside from Java, C++, C# etc, normally are compiled. So the security app would be running assembly lanaguage, compiled from C++

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.