Vistas Thumbcache.db files

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by Max Zorin, Nov 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Max Zorin

Max Zorin Former Poster

Unlike XP, which stors thum.db files in various folders, Vista stores a number of thumbcacheo_O.db files in %homedrive%\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer - and these files are locked.

The Vista disk cleanup utility will delete these, but requires a reboot. Windows scheduler wont allow anything to be scheduled on shutdown, so I cant set it to run when the PC reboots.

Is there a workaround to get scheduler to run an app on shutdown OR when I rin my 3rd party clesning app.

Is there a 3rd party scheduler which can do what I need?

MZ

2. estra

estra Registered Member

It is possible to define scripts to be executed on shutdown in Local Group Policy Editor (run gpedit.msc).

3. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Why not just turn off the caching of thumbnails? Then there's no more thumbs.db files to clean up.

4. caspian

caspian Registered Member

Can you do that on Vista? I know you can on XP.

5. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

caspian,

Would you post how to do this on XP?

Many thanks,

Silver

6. strangequark

strangequark Registered Member

in Xp just go to >folder options> and tick "Do not cache thumbnails"

and in Vista do the following .................

Before starting make sure you are logged on as an Administrator

1. First, turn off thumbnail creation by opening Windows Explorer, clicking the Organize button and selecting Folder and Search Options. Click on the View tab and check Always show icons, never thumbnails. Click the OK button.
    2. Then, run Disk Cleanup on Drive C: and empty the cache so you can recover the disk space. You can find it in Accessories/System Tools.
    3. In Windows Explorer, navigate to the AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows folder under your name. If you can't find it, just copy the following: %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows Paste it into the Address Bar and hit Enter.
    4. Right-Click on the Explorer folder and select Properties.
    5. Select the Security tab.
    6. Click the Advanced button.
    7. On the Permissions tab, click the Edit button.
    8. Uncheck Include inheritable permissions from this object's parent.
    9. Click the Remove button in the Windows Security box that pops up.
    10. Click the OK button on the Permissions tab.
    11. Click the Yes button in the Windows Security box that pops up.
    12. Close all the open boxes.
    13. Go back into the Folder and Search Options and uncheck the Always show icons, never thumbnails and you're done.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  7. ITnewbie

ITnewbie Registered Member

on step 8 there are a series of 3 options to choose from, SYSTEM Administrators and one labeled as mine. Which do I choose when unchecking the box. Im trying to be careful because when I just choose a random one it says that it will disable explorer for ALL users, which to be honest kinda sounds like a bad thing.
    Also there is another box outside of the 3 choices that appears to do the same thing, but, since i can never seem to catch a break, it's greyed out and inaccessible.
    Lastly is it possible to skip this step because I'm really not sure what it even does. Thanks for your time and hopefully your help.

8. ITnewbie

ITnewbie Registered Member

Nevermind lol.
    Me and my "mostly" innocuous sense of impatience decided to do the smart thing and create a sys restore point then go ahead with step 8. It turns out that his guide works Brilliantly!
    however I do have one more question. Should I go ahead and repeat step 8 on Administrators and SYSTEM? Again thanks for your help.

9. strangequark

strangequark Registered Member

I would think that just doing your 'User" would be enough, if there are any doubts you could always set another Sys Restor point and try the others.

lucky you, mine is usually the opposite, I'm afraid I fall into the "fools rush in where etc. etc." Makes for a exciting life, except for the odd disaster. :cautious:

10. caspian

Can't you just use something like Sweepi to clean thumbsdb every so often?...or something like that?

11. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

You could always encrypt your entire system drive and never worry about that stuff at all. I finally did it a few months ago and I'd never turn back.

12. caspian

That sounds scary to me. Is it difficult to do? What program did you use?

13. markoman

markoman Registered Member

No it is not hard at all.
    Visit www.truecrypt.org for a good tool and documentation.

14. caspian

Thanks I will check that out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.