Vista - windows explorer folder view

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Saraceno, Feb 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

This might have been posted before, but one thing that bothered me about windows vista - windows explorer was that the folder view settings will show 'rating, tags' and all sorts of headings instead of date modified, type, size.

Most likely if you have one mp3 in a given folder with documents, you'll suddenly have different headings, and are unable to view a document when it was last modified, like you could when using XP. Drove me nuts! :p

Anyway, found the following fix. So now I have 'name, date modified, type, size' for all folder views, including when viewing external drives with mp3s, documents etc.

Apologies for the file sizes - images from link below.
    http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/70819-windows-explorer-folder-view-settings.html

Step one.

method 1.jpg

Step 2 - Download and run registry fix

method 2.jpg

Step 3.

method 3.jpg

Now see below. Easy to sort through documents and files now :D

vista folders.jpg

2. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Yeah, explorer is only half-baked now. I really dislike it. There are a few things I like, but mostly I just miss the ease of the XP explorer.

Here is what I have been using to handle this in win 7.

Code:
    ;===================================================
    ; stop directories with media from displaying files in a Template fashion

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\AllFolders\Shell]
    "FolderType"="NotSpecified" 
    Sul.

3. Saraceno

I haven't used windows 7, but I'm assuming it would do the same with the folder headings, try to be 'intuitive', instead of simplistic.

If widows 7 does the same, I can search around for a similar process, or is what you posted, does that take care of the folder headings?

Whoever at microsoft thought of changing the headings in explorer, clearly they don't work with or try to search for documents/images. :ouch:

4. Sully

Sully Registered Member

In 7 it is called a media template. Supposed to help you manage your media, and is auto-activated when it encounters media files. I cannot stand it. I can manage my stuff on my own, but I guess M$ does not think so.

That reg file seems to have taken care of it for me. It might be working due to a combination of other reg settings, but if I recall correctly I tried that one by itself from a default 7 install and it worked.

Sul.

5. Saraceno

I couldn't stand it either. Give me the setup I've had for 10+ years.

They must assume everyone wants the 100s of heading they offer and 'randomly' display. COol. :cool:

Your tweak is good to know if I upgrade to 7.

Otherwise, if people don't want to do any tweaking, both Q-Dir and duoexplorer should work well.

I know you mentioned using Q-Dir, out of interest, does duoexplorer load ok on Windows 7? Looks like it's straight from XP. Screenshot. I've used it for a few months now when comparing files.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  6. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Yeah, duoexplorer opens in 7 without issue.

I use Qdir primarily to get the feature of single-clicking on a directory in treeview and have it expand rather than dblclick. I also like the way it collapses other directories when you change directories. XP did this, which was HUGE over prior versions, to me anyway as that is how I navigate. Vista/7 got rid of this, and seem to be geard towards running in icon mode and using the right side pane. This really irritates me, so Qdir (so far) has produced the fastest navigation, not to mention all the different ways to view/mix/match the panes.

Sul.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.