Vista vs Windows 7

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Durad, Sep 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Durad

Durad Registered Member

Is there any comparation between Vista and Win7 in terms of performance, memory and cpu usage...o_O?

Thanks

2. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

as i use both i personally don't see any difference at all on a high performance computer but if yours is just average then their will be a small performance boost with windows 7

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I don't see any real difference in day to day usage either, on a fairly new machine. I did, however, notice that Win 7 was faster during installation of software and Win updates, and so on.

4. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

i can def see a diff with system boot time and overall system "snappiness"

5. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

I have both Win7x64 and Vistax64 installed and I don't see much difference on my machine. Win7 did install a little faster. If boot time is faster on mine, I don't notice it. I have not actually timed it.

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Windows 7 is definatly more snappy. its definatly noticeable. windows vista seems so slow after using windows 7 on the same hardware.

7. firzen771

lol yep. startup was brutul for me on Vista.

8. cqpreson

cqpreson Registered Member

I think Win7 is based on Vista.Win7 is better than Vista on any sides.

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

atm im using vista because windows 7 preorder hasnt come yet. i do find with vista that if its been on for awhilelogoff and shutdown takes ages....

10. firzen771

ye, same for me.

11. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Because everyone is using different hardware with all different specs, we're going to see a wide range of thoughts on this. Some people swear Win7 in slower at certain things, others swear by the "snappiness" of Win7 - so the question arises as to whether this "snappiness" is real or a virtual placebo effect. The recent multi-benchmark testing by MaximumPC (see other thread) seems to show that XP holds up quite well and considering the age of that OS, the fact that Windows 7 doesn't blow it away does not bode well for Windows 7 being a "must" upgrade.

12. firzen771

well ur just comparing an OS with VERY limited features and abilities compared to a brand new OS with all the features and new tech, it makes sense that an OS with the bare minimum will run faster, the fact that Win7 is just nearly as fast as XP if not faster at certain things shows, they combine performance WITH new technology, usability and features.

its just common sense, wen u cram more things into something it will inherently be slower than something that is bare minimum... and if ur looking for pure performance, why dont u go with DOS then? its even more barebone and will outperform XP in a heartbeat...

13. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

You write as if Windows XP is some OS-lite. You say it is an OS, "with VERY limited features." I've heard XP called a lot of things over the years - but an OS "with VERY limited features?" You also forgot to mention that third-party programs on XP which mimic the new features in Win7 are easily available - you think they really "bog down" Windows XP with modern processors and lots of RAM?

Oh, comparing Win7 and XP with XP and DOS is not intellectually honest.

We'll just agree to disagree on this one, but hey - that's okay!

14. firzen771

XP isnt limited, but compared to the newer OS's it has much less features and the graphical interface is pretty outdated, if someone wanted pure performance and nothing else they culd use win 98 or even better DOS.

15. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

I will switch to Win7 next month. I just got a great deal that was too good to pass up. It's the latest os, like firzin771 said, it has the latest technology, usability, and features. The kernel is the same as Vista but, it has a few added features and functionality. I am one of those types that likes to have the latest and newest, at least if I can afford it, even if I don't necessarily need it. Wisdom tells me to wait a year till the first service pack arrives before I install it, but I doubt I could force myself to wait that long. Besides there doesn't seem to be a lot of issues with the release candidate.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2009
  16. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

I imagine that most of the hardcore gamers that have ignored Vista and stayed with XP will be switching to Win7. DirectX 11 is just around the corner, before you know it all the new games will be DirectX 11, Vista and Win7 can use it, but XP can only use DirectX 9. The next step will be that all of Microsoft's new programs like, IE 9, WMP 13, net framework, etc.. will not be XP compatible. Then a lot of your 3rd party security vendor software will not be XP compatible. So XP will slowly be forced into being obsolete for business reasons if for nothing else. Before too long we will be talking about the next release (Win8 ) or whatever it will be called.:p

17. firzen771

yes, this is the most bug free MS OS ive ever used at such an early stage, they did very good work on it

agreed.

18. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

Windows 7 is better than Windows Vista in every aspect, installation time, boot time, system responsiveness, more backwards compatible, better UAC, better GUI

19. firzen771

very true. just overall better product and much more reliable

20. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

Win7 is the latest os, I think that is the way it should be.

21. pinso

pinso Registered Member

i downloaded Windows 7 Ultimate RTM 7600.16385 RC that was offered by MSDN, i found out the Clean installation,Boot time was really quicker than Vista: although i m using WinXP SP3 , i love XP,n will keep using it.
    Sticking to the topic: i read somewhere Vista can run better only with desired HARDWARE: Laptop preinstalled with Vista shows no signs of Slowing down, since they h the Hardware to run. I h 2.0 GHZ processor n 1 GB ram. i tried on Virtual Machine n found Win7 to be relatively faster and quicker in response time compared to Vista.....WIN7 is in everyway what WIN VISTA should h' been:
    i really hate Vista
    :D

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  22. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

23. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

I seem to be one of the rare breed that actually found a massive performance improvement with Vista SP2 over XP (with the addition of Teracopy ).When I ran 7 for a while I really didn't notice any improvement in speed or responsiveness,it just seems that my rig happens to love Vista for some reason.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.