Vista "User Account Control" blocks Autoupdate from running at startup

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by jvelick, Jul 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jvelick

jvelick Registered Member

Vista Home Premium "User Account Control" blocks SpywareBlaster AutoUpdate from running at startup.

My Vista user name is running in "Administrator" mode.

It is the only item in my startup folder (in msconfig) that shows "Unknown" in the "Manufacturer" column. Also, in Windows Defender, in the Software Explorer, it is the only item that shows "Publisher Not Available".

During each boot, I get an icon in the system tray by the clock that states "Blocked startup programs" when I point my mouse pointer at it. When right clicking on the icon, it allows me to select "Run blocked program". However, I need to selectively do this after each and every boot or reboot or else the startup item won't run (as shown in the following Vista help file, it states I need to repeat these certain steps each time I want to run the program after starting Windows):

Run or remove blocked startup programs

User Account Control prevents programs that require permission or an administrator password from running automatically when Windows starts. If a program is blocked, you'll see a message in the notification area that says some startup programs need permission to run. You can run a blocked program, remove blocked programs from startup, or ignore the notification.

To run a blocked program
    Right-click the Blocked startup programs icon in the notification area.

Click Run blocked program, and then click the name of the program you want to run. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Note
    You'll need to repeat these steps each time you want to run the program after starting Windows.

I have been spending a better part of the last 5 hours doing internet searches, help file searches, etc, trying to find a fix (to no avail). It seems this new User Account Control (UAC) does not have an "approved list" or such to override the fact that it is blocking SpywareBlaster AutoUpdate from running at startup.

I am a regular user of this AutoUpdate feature for a number of years now for various Windows XP computers that are under my control... However, I am stumped regarding this issue on my lone Vista machine.

1) Is Javacool aware of this issue?
    2) Will there be a fix in the upcoming version?

Thank you.

2. jvelick

jvelick Registered Member

Additional Info related to the post above:

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_ff_uac.asp
    According to this website, it states UAC causes different kinds of dialog boxes depending on the situation. The one that comes up after I initiate the "Run a blocked startup program" instruction as noted in the post above is the dialog with the colorful yellow bar at the top of the dialog box. Regarding this type of dialog box, this website states the following:

"There's also a third type of UAC dialog, which appears whenever you attempt to execute an application that has not been digitally signed or validated. This dialog, by design, is bigger, more colorful, and more prominent than the other UAC dialogs, and it will appear whether you are an admin or not. Here it is:"

I hope this helps narrow down the reason UAC is blocking SpywareBlaster AutoUpdate from running at startup in MS Vista.

1) Is Javacool aware of this issue?
    2) Will there be a fix in the upcoming version?

Thank you.

3. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

We are indeed aware of this issue with AutoUpdate, and there will be a fix in the upcoming version. :)

(For now, if you add sbautoupdate.exe as a Scheduled Task to Windows Task Scheduler, I believe that you should no longer receive the pop-ups - assuming you also remember to disable AutoUpdate's built-in startup method. Instructions on how to do so are here, but please note that things may differ slightly in Windows Vista.)

Best regards,

-Javacool

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.