Vista User Accont Control bugging me!!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mranybody, Apr 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mranybody

mranybody Registered Member

I have Adminstrative account on my Vista system, but every time I start TI 11 I have to give permission to User Account Control to start it. Is there anyway to avoid this?

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

You can disable UAC .... go into Control Panel/Users and somewhere in there you will find the option. I'm not on my Vista system now so can't give you the exact location.

3. mranybody

mranybody Registered Member

Thanks DwnNdrty. I was hoping there was a way to disable it for individual apps, but I guess I'll just have to use some patience.

4. SandC

SandC Registered Member

Same thing is happening to me. I installed it after the Vista SP1 release and I I wonder if there is some difference caused by that. All the other programs I have do no require the UAC to be come involved.

5. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

For me and many other Vista users, UAC was a most annoying "feature" and I don't need the security it is supposed to provide. Others might.

6. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Just a bit curious, do you guys know why Vista gives the UAC prompt?

7. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Vista's new security model is a copy of the Unix/Linux security model. It relies on the principle of "Least Privileged User" for running processes. What this means is that all users, even if you are a member of the Administrators group, run as a standard user with the minimum amount of privileges. When you are running as a standard user then viruses and malware cannot do much damage because they will be stopped from writing to system areas on the disk, modifying hardware settings, messing with the MBR on your disk, etc.

Vista's method of granting privilege elevation to Admin is through the UAC prompt, asking you to click a button to confirm an operation that will potentially modify system settings. Unix/Linux asks you to type a password to elevate privileges.

If you disable UAC then you are giving up most of the protection against malware that is inherent in Vista, and then you're no more secure than an XP machine, so you'd better have good antivirus and antispyware programs as a first defense if you turn UAC off.

Programs that can do serious system modifications will prompt for privilege elevation when starting. Some examples are Regedit, Disk Management Console, Windows Firewall, etc. Since Acronis Disk Director and True Image can make serious low-level system changes, potentially wiping out your entire hard disk, they too fall into that category and prompt for permission before starting.

During normal day-to-day operation I hardly ever see UAC prompts, and I'm the kind of user who monkeys around with system settings more frequently than most. Turn it off if you prefer but be aware of the security implications if you do.

8. shieber

shieber Registered Member

You can reduce the prompts (for users with admin rights) without turning UAC compeletely off.

http://thevistaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=8074

Turning it off completely can have some unwanted effects, well documented on web.

Better to just avoid the alerts if you're an admin rights user.

9. tuttle

tuttle Guest

Vista's User Account Control (UAC) is a good feature. As k0lo says, it protects users from a lot of undesirable outcomes and threats. Yes, the prompts can be annoying when you are doing system adjustments or application installs, but disabling UAC removes valuable protection. Rather than disabling UAC, there is a much better solution: use TweakUAC.

TweakUAC enables the Administrator account to switch UAC to “quiet mode”, which means that UAC remains enabled but the Administrator profile won’t see the elevation prompts. Standard user profiles will have full UAC enabled with elevation prompts.

You could do this yourself with Registry edits or other methods, but TweakUAC makes it far easier.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2008
  10. RitchieG

RitchieG Registered Member

Get rid of the UAC prompt VISTA SP1 Home Preimum

Run regedit and navigate to’
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    SOFTWARE
    Microsoft
    Windows
    Current-Version
    Policies
    System
    Then double click “ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin” and change the value to 0
    You won’t get any more of those annoying prompts, you will get a notice that UAC is off when you re-boot but actually it isn’t, only the prompt is off.

This works for me and so far I like the results.

11. tuttle

tuttle Guest

IMHO, TweakUAC is a much better solution. It provides a nice GUI, it provides explanations of the options so you understand what it's doing, and it doesn't require direct editing of the Registry. Editing the Registry can cause a lot of damage if someone makes a mistake. TweakUAC is far safer.

12. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

o_O That seem like crossing the river to get water...
    If tweakuac isnt what you want then there is much easier way to do it in the account properties, just choose to turn of UAC

13. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Turning off UAC will turn it off compeltely. Mucn better to turn off the prompts for admistrators than to turn it off completely.

14. tuttle

tuttle Guest

Exactly. I agree. UAC is useful protection. TweakUAC lets Administrators avoid elevation prompts, but leaves UAC enabled.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.