Vista Ultimate upgrade

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Ptah, May 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ptah

Ptah Registered Member

I just tried to upgrade from xp pro sp2 and it was a complete no go. The system would get caught in a reboot after the final upgrade phase. I ran the the windows vista upgrade advisory and it said nothing about my system could not be upgraded. Could It be a software conflict here is my partital list:

Shadow desktop protect
    ShadowUser
    FD-ISR
    Sandboxie
    Daemon tools
    Nod32-disabled during upgrade

Hardware:
    MSI K9A platinum Mobo
    ATI 1950 xtx cross fire
    (1) WD Raptor X
    (2) WD 250 gig sata

*I wonder should I have removed the 1st three applications before upgrading.

I hope someone has some real good advice!

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

upgrades are hardly ever gonna be pain free.
    is it possible to fully backup all your data do a fresh install of xp then upgrade to vista?
    there could of been problems with the xp install that stopped the upgrade progress.
    al the upgrade advisor is saying is that your pc is capable of running windows vista.
    it doesnt tell you if the upgrade will be successful if you upgrade your current xp install.
    lodore

3. Ptah

Ptah Registered Member

If I have to do that, it kind of defeats the purpose of an upgrade! :eek:

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

yes i know but i was reading the winsupersite the other day and Paul said about 50 times do not do an upgrade! if you want to install vista on an old PC do a fresh install on the old pc.
    i agree with Paul a fresh install of xp then upgrade to vista is the best way
    lodore

5. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Personally, I would remove all of those applications for an OS upgrade, as well as any other non-native OS autostarting components for which the installed version level was not already unambiguously verified as Vista compatible. Before reinstalling any of the applications above, I would also take pains to verify that the specific version and build that I was installing was Vista compatible. If you wanted to try a partial approach, I'd pull the first three items plus NOD32. I believe Sandboxie should be OK, I have not worked with Daemon tools.

Or follow the fresh install approach mentioned by lodore, which is equivalent to stripping an installation of all extraneous autostart entries and non-native services

Blue

6. Ptah

Ptah Registered Member

Ok, before I left for the daily grind I removed all but nod32 which I remove when I get back home. Per your advice I will remove all startup programs that are not native to the windows. I will report back at the end of the day and give an update.

7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I did an upgrade to Vista Business and FDISR caused no problems. Shadowprotect Desktop V2 won't run under Vista so that goes, I suspect you might also have Shadowuser issues, don't know. Also Sandboxie might or might not cause issues. Same with Nod if your version isn't vista compatible.

Only questiono I'd ask is why are you doing this. I did it to test stuff, but I don't leave it on the machine. Yeah it's pretty, but doesn't really add much usefullness. Oh did I mention half my stuff won't run.

8. Ptah

Ptah Registered Member

I am a software junkie, who can not resist the new toy on the block. Also when I ran the upgrade advisory it did not say Desktop protect was not compatible but it did say shadowuser was. I just figured that the software would not work run, not mess up an install. Lesson learned on my part or atleast until I find out if it was said software.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.