Vista to Windows 7

Discussion in 'polls' started by Rico, Sep 14, 2009.

?

"As respects migrating from Vista there are two options (1.) upgrade from Vista (not

Poll closed Sep 28, 2009.
  1. I agree (is not recommended)

10 vote(s)
    47.6%
  2. I disagree

6 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. It does not matter

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  1. Rico

Rico Registered Member

"As respects migrating from Vista there are two options (1.) upgrade from Vista (not recommended, retains a lot of Vista junk)"

I agree

I disagree

It's does not matter

please explain

Take Care
    Rico

2. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

When I upgraded as a test from Vista Ultimate to Win7 RC the operation went very well, but I took some precautions and uninstalled first some applications which might have created problems: Look'n'Stop, Shadow Defender, and Avira.

Considering that as far as I know an upgrade to Win7 Ultimate would cost the same as a clean install, upgrading wouldn't make any sense. Also I wouldn't do it without a good image backup.

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I'm sure it's possible to upgrade, but I always opt for a clean install. Just more psychologically appealing to me....

4. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Having done literally hundreds of upgrades of OSs over the years, they go fine. Follow recommended steps before, such as uninstalling antivirus, other incompatible programs or device drivers that the pre-check list will produce for you.

For a PC which you demand the utmost of performance, such as a gaming PC at home, yeah doing a clean install is probably better...wipe the slate clean, no old leftover drivers, etc.

Especially since Vista and Windows 7 install so dang fast now, it's not like a few years ago where you spend quite a bit of time installing the OS and drivers...before even getting to installing your applications and restoring their data and settings.

But for general use PCs...upgrades have always gone well for me and they've run just fine. And sometimes you have a computer where there is simply too much to bother backing up the data, or some install disks for applications (and/or their install keys) are gone/missing/etc.

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I always recommend clean installs for all operating systems.
    I haven't personalty done an uprade install on production computers. I have only done it as tests without any third party programs installed.
    20 minutes for the install. less if you do the install from a usb flash drive. compare that to an hour to install XP.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  6. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I did a clean install of 7 on my desktop and an upgrade on my laptop. I don't have any issues with either one. At this point I hate to reinstall everything else, as it is a pain to have to reactivate all of the stuff that requires it. Good thing that it has eliminated software piracy. :rolleyes:

7. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I prefer clean OS install.

8. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

same, starting from a clean slate always feels best.

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Same here... The question I haven't seen answered yet, is whether one can even do a clean install with the "upgrade" disk. I am suspecting not.

10. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

i suppose u cant otherwise it wuld be the same price as the normal one and wuldnt say upgrade on it :doubt:

11. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yeah, that is what I am assuming. Shame, because that's why I'm not upgrading to 7. I won't do it unless it's a clean install, and I don't want to spend $200 on the full version. Oh well.... Next PC purchase I'll get something new, but since this one is just a year old, that won't be for a while... :)

12. Mem

Mem Registered Member

Doesn't the upgrade disk give two options on install after verifying old OS?
    1. Upgrade existing OS
    2. Format existing OS disk and do a "clean install" of Win7 at that point

Especially if you are going from 32 bit to 64 bit in the upgrade process, option 2 is required (as both are on the upgrade DVD).

13. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I wouldn't count on that. It's not clear at all what our options are going to be. I don't think MS has even come out and said how it will be...

14. Mem

Mem Registered Member

"By using the Manual Installation method, you can easily upgrade to Windows 7 by installing a clean copy of the operating system without keeping applications, and you can easily transfer your files and settings from the previous Windows version. This is called a computer refresh. You can optionally upgrade computers running Windows Vista® with Service Pack 1 (SP1) or higher to Windows 7 while keeping your applications. This is called an in-place upgrade. When performing this process, you typically run the Setup program from the media and answer each prompt. "

from Manual Installation of Windows 7 Overview
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...FamilyID=cd34995f-966a-4e2f-83f5-e7b570650343

15. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Neither one of those sounds like a true wipe and clean install of the new OS. If you reformat and install 7 clean, you can't keep ANY settings from ANYTHING, as it suggests you can above. So something is not clear there at all. I don't think either of those options above represent what we think of as a "clean install" of 7. IMO, neither a "computer refresh" nor an "in-place upgrade" are a clean install. At best, it still isn't clear....

16. Mem

Mem Registered Member

As stated in the MS doc, they accomplish this using Windows Easy Transfer (Vista-Start-> All Programs-> Accessories->System Tools):

"2. Save users’ documents and setting.
    Optionally, use Windows Easy Transfer to save users’ documents and settings from the computer, which you can restore after installing Windows 7 on the computer. This step is necessary only if you’re refreshing the computer with a new installation."

But we will see when it comes out.

17. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, let's wait and see what we get when the time comes.... :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.