Vista to Incorporate AVG

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Albinoni, Dec 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Albinoni

Albinoni Registered Member

When Vista is finally released its security centre will AVG Antivirus and AVG Anti Malware in a partnership with MS. The software (i.e AVG) will be endorsed and promoted in the OS.

What gives me the $hits now days about MS is that they tend to make up peoples minds for them instead of letting people choose what they want. Why dont let users of Vista choose what Antivirus, Antimalware, Firewall of what ever they want to install instead of MS making their own decision and saying "here we go, we're going to incorporate AVG in it." Also on the other note I personally dont use AVG but would be interesting to know how much improvement their AV and AM software has gained since their previous products.

2. Londonbeat

Londonbeat Registered Member

My thoughts entirely, I for one won't be upgrading to vista if Microsoft are going to insist I run third party software that I don't want to.

Londonbeat

3. Albinoni

When you say "third party software" what do you mean. I mean if you use NOD32, Nero etc isnt this really third party software. Personally in someways I prefer third party software because in some ways it tends to do a better job. Say for eg I use Nero for all my burning and NOD32 for my AV, plus ZA Pro for my Firewall.

4. Londonbeat

Londonbeat Registered Member

Yes they are third party software, I mean that I don't want to be forced into using AVG. :)

5. Albinoni

Ok, got you. Like I said in my first post people should be allowed to choose what they want. Interesting to know during the setup if AVG can be disabled.

6. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

avg is not installed in vista, thats what i thought.

AVG will be offered as an AV option in the security centre part of windows, i.e like a link to buy, this is what i thought microsoft stated.

7. Albinoni

I got this info off the latest PC Authrority Magazine here in Australia and quoted this is what it says " AVG-Anti-Virus and AVG Anti-Malware will be available in the Windows Vista Security Centre. In a partnership with Microsoft the software will be endorsed and promoted in the OS"

Perhaps I could be wrong, but would be interesting to find out when it's finally released.

8. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

AVG is/was recommended because they had a released version for Vista on the business launch day. McAfee, Sophos, Symantec Corp., now also have released versions of antivirus solutions. And many are in beta and on the way, due out on or before January 30th.

GriSoft will have a mention in the Security center if no protection is found.
    Why GriSoft? I don't think they are as up in arms as McAfee, Symantec, Trend, over the OneCare fiasco.

//EDIT//
    http://www.grisoft.com/doc/39275/lng/us/tpl/tpl01

9. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

that statement is correct,

but i think you mis-read it to mean avg is installed or with vista.

the option will be in the security centre of vista, with links or information to go and buy avg, vista does not come with avg and there are no problems using anything else.

this was what i thought anyway.

10. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

See my post above:

Here is the MS page you get to from the security center,
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/update/windowsvistaRC1AV.mspx

I think GriSoft is just tooting its own horn. As I don't have Vista installed right now I cannot confirm this but I don't think I ever remember seeing AVG mentioned anywhere besides that above webpage which is linked from the SS.

11. marcromero

marcromero Guest

My interpretation: "Available" does not mean installed, it's simply a recommendation for a Vista compatible antivirus software.

12. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

it was just a misinterpretation, but reading that page, i can understand how easily is it to get the wrong idea.

13. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Since I do not anticipate getting a new computer for probably 3 years, I am just going to let it boil, and when I get a new one I will buy Vista just like almost everyone else.

Jerry

14. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Corporate alliances and long knives....:shifty: we're in you're out....the same as always. No one will be forced to use any one AV there are some choices there. The list should grow. MS does not want to get all hung up in a another law suit about favoritism and monopoly practices the legal expenses got be hurting the bottom line and a distraction.

Finally remember the stuff we are ranting about are for the masses who know they need security but have no clue. Not the likes of us around here that keep up with stuff. :)

15. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

There will always be mavericks that refuse to be part of the herd. Obey the corporate decisions. Obey the corporate decisions. Moo.

16. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

MOOOOOOOOOOOOO.:D :D
    It will be interesting to see what the mavericks use when they are forced to make a choice. I think the overwhelming majority will also go MOO MOO TOO.:D
    Jerry

17. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

im off to vista home premium as soon as its released, for sure.

18. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I think the answer to AVG being incorporated into Vista is obvious.

Probably 95% of the people who will be using Vista don't care what AV or antimalware is installed. 90% of the 95% probably don't even know what an antimalware is. I hope they've at least heard of antivirus.

Half or more the 90% would have no virus or antimalware installed at all if it wasn't put there for them. How many buy computers with preinstalled Norton or McAfee - 3 month trial - let it expire and still think they're being protected?

The 95% mentioned above want it all done for them and just don't care, so MS is looking to them rather than the 5% who really are interested and care.

I haven't read anything on Vista, since I don't plan on having a Vista system for a good many years (I hope) so don't know what the story is. Why doesn't MS just incorporate something like BufferZone, Sandboxie, or something similar that would automatically start with the browser? That would solve most of the problem. Or, is that too simplistic a solution?

19. pcaca

pcaca Registered Member

IE 7 on Vista will actually run with limited permisions in some kind of sandbox.

20. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I think its a good idea if they are going to include avg in vista. Its gonna save the millions of home users who don't know much in regards to pc security.

21. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i dont think its going to 'include' avg, thats the point.

it will mention it in security centre and link to AVG to buy it if you would like it.

22. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

AVG is one of the vendors that will be mentioned and recommended by the Windows Security Center in Vista. There will be more in Microsoft's list of recommended vendors, so its not like its some evil plan of AVG and Microsoft to take over the world. I believe McAfee and Symantec are also recommended.

I have not heard anything about AVG antivirus free with Vista. If that were the case, Microsoft can simply integrate OneCare (or a part of it) into Vista and save themselves some money.

23. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I don't see why they wouldn't include the av. Why would people pay when they can get the free version which for the average user has no disadvantages compared to the paid version.

24. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

The "average user" has no disadvantages, thats sure. But by integrating AVG Anti-Virus into Vista, Microsoft is distributing AVG on a commercial basis. As a result they will still have to pay Grisoft for every copy of Vista sold.

This isn't a very sensible move considering that Microsoft has their own AV which they can integrate and save themselves some licensing fees as well as market their product better. And this is why I find the theory of AVG being included in Vista implausible. Its just not a good decision.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.