VISTA SP1

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by RAD, Mar 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RAD

RAD Registered Member

Scrambled my system....unbootable.
    I ended up restoring images with Paragon Drive backup.

I am FUMING that MS could not get a simple update correct after botching the OP SYS to begin with !

My system is about as ordinary as can be, yet it still brought it crashing down !

My next computer will definitely not be Windows based.

2. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

I, too, am disappointed.

Not only cannot I not see SP1 via Windows Update, but it appears that my PC, sold to me with Vista on it, cannot run Vista SP1.

Ah, well, I still have the same system I had yesterday. And, perhaps more importantly, I have more information than I had yesterday. And still time to plan my Linux migration.

3. Cloudcroft

Cloudcroft Registered Member

Sorry, RAD... I guess I'm not the only one having problems with SP1. I thought I'd have to use an image, but was able to boot into safe mode and recover with system restore.

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i might ring up my friend later and make an image of windows for him before he installs sp1. just incase

5. RAD

RAD Registered Member

Doing more research tody; it seems as though there are LOTS of reported problems with SP1. It has become just another chapter in the MS Vista debacle.
    I truly regret deciding to stick with Vista; and now I am just fed up with MS (despite being their defender in many past threads).

I might try again, but only after making sure my system is 100% configured as optimally as I can and making sure I have a recent drive image. I got a bit sloppy this time and only had an image from about 5 days ago, so I lost some things.

6. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

im having no problems.... yet. :)

never say never, when windows is concerned.

7. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

Ditto............does seem faster in ALL respects.....not sure yet, but faster surfing now might be due to SP1.................we'll see.

8. AKAJohnDoe

Since SP1 is not given as an available choice, base Vista will do while I investigate Linux.

9. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Read the Instructions :cautious: I'tll install toot sweet without hiccups :cautious:

10. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Ok, I didnt read the instructions, but sure there are some hickups with software that doesnt follow the guidlines Vista demands (as I understand it)
    Imo Vista should refuse to install software that doesnt follow the guidelines, atleast there should be a very not possible to misunderstand warning to the user that the software they are installing could conflict with future updates. Then people will have a choice and and maybe they for real would choose the other OS´s they always are on the way to migrate to rather than just talk about it ;P

11. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Well, I can not really compare SP1 since I used old PC without SP1 and new PC with SP1 (clean instal with SP1 iso), but it seems so far, that it improved Vista a bit. But there are still some issues like UAC, which takes ages to appear (like 15-30 min) and till it appears, it locks start menu, so explorer process has to be restarted, but that is good, because sometimes UAC will not appear at all, so I had to abandon playing a few demos. Oh well, maybe SP2 will fix that. :rolleyes:

12. Rainwalker

You very well may know of this, but just in case.....
    http://www.tweak-uac.com/

13. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

15-20 minutes?! are you kidding me? if it would take more than half a second on my machine I would dump it really quick and go back to XP. Have you checked what software might block Vista to produce the UAC and crashes explorer.exe?

14. TairikuOkami

I like UAC idea, so I do not want to disable it, but I just hate waiting for it so long. I have no realtime software running, so there is nothing blocking it. It happens only to big files (maybe it is unpacking it?), but in Vista x32 it did not happen. So my new PC and Vista x64 are actually worse then 2,2GHz with 1GB RAM?! o_O

15. Rainwalker

You might try updating your video card driver.....from vendor.

16. TairikuOkami

I have the newest drivers, well I guess, that is just the way the Vista is, nor good or bad, just strange. :D

17. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

It does :cautious:

18. RAD

RAD Registered Member

!! 0xc0190036 !! 608/68459 (HelpPane.exe)

That is the error message that SP1 leaves flashing on my screeen when it tries to reboot.

So far, I can't find any explanation, even at the Microsoft Help Forum. There were at least 3 others citing the same error code with slightly different message though.

19. AKAJohnDoe

I uninstalled my sound card, reinstalled it, and Windows Update then eventually showed me Vista SP1, so I installed it.

Up now on Vista Home Premium SP1 now with nothing unusual to report at this time.

20. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

we have sp1 installed on every vista machine at home and in my offices. prob over 25 machines total an not a single issue with one of them they all installed perfect and are running great. sp1 is running WAY better than before everything is much faster now imo super stable not a single issue for me as i said 25+ various machines

21. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.