Vista security for Mother-in-law

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by cp4eva, Apr 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cp4eva

cp4eva Registered Member

Hi all,

As an XP user with no experience in Vista, I have been asked by my mother-in-law to install Vista on her machine. The PC meets the sys reqs for installation, but being unfamiliar with the OS and what antimalware may work best for a total novice, I thought I would pick the brains of my fellow users here.

Can anyone recommend a good, light and user friendly Vista protection plan for fighting malware?

2. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Vista Firewall control, using Vista's own firewall

Using UAC with Norton UAC tool to remember what she has chosen

Microsoft Defender as advanced member sharing threats, deselect daily scan, will get her daily updates.

Avira free (AV, AS)

regards Kees

3. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

yes indeed: DefenseWall Hips
    http://www.softsphere.com/
    the easiest and most secure application againts malware out the box ready problem free;)

4. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

Kees,

Where does it say you get daily updates without having daily scans checked provided you are an advanced member?

I can't find any reference.

Thanks,
    Ian

5. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Vista really isn't that different than XP. It was fairly easy to find my way around on my sis's new Vista computer. I set her up with a user (non-admin) account and after her Norton trial was up I turned on the Vista firewall, and installed Avast free on her machine. I can't remember whether or not I turned on Defender...

All seems to be working fine and if she starts to complain about the UAC prompts I'll try the Norton UAC tool Kees1958 mentioned.

6. Kees1958

Sorry Iangh daily checks, you can uncheck daily scans in the setup or program options or something like that. The advanced membership, seems to come with some additional benefits (not a seperate option as far as I can remember). I have not used MsDefender for quite a while, so may be others can confirm whether is still applicable.

Regards Kees

7. Kees1958

Yep that is even better (a limited account), you must tweak the Registry settings see old post https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=185220

I think the "ConsentPromptBehaviorUser" has to be set to 1, most of this post still applies, only with Norton UAC you can set UAC to normal in stead of quiet mode.

Regards Kees

8. Kees1958

That is the easiest way of fully protected in admin mode, set UAC to quiet and also install Norton's UAC tool, you can run Avast with its Internet mail and web browser modules enabled for a full protecton.

9. ako

ako Registered Member

This is the setup I made for my parents: Avast, Vista firewall, Windows defender, UAC.
    And most important thing: One limited user account for daily work. Another PURELY for banking/ebay etc. This eliminates majority of major threats.

Avoid sofware that give pop-ups. Use, e.g., Vista firewall as such. They probably wouldn't know when answer yes/no for outbound queries.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  10. kriebly

kriebly Registered Member

Enable the Vista firewall, as mentioned earlier.

Enable auto-updates in Windows for the OS and Office products.

Enable auto-updates for other software (e.g., Adobe Flash, Adobe Acrobat, Sun Java, Firefox, any chat clients they use). This is better than nothing, but doesn't always work very well. The free program Secunia PSI helps more with this. (I have no experience with LUA mentioned earlier so I don't know how this utility would interact with it.)

Completely turn off the autorun feature since nobody needs it:

http://antivirus.about.com/od/securitytips/ht/vista_autorun.htm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.