Vista Security Center says no antivirus software found

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by lep, Oct 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lep

lep Registered Member

Am getting a red security icon in task bar of Vista first time today after no such problems for the last few weeks after purchase. Right after purchase I went through all the steps: download from registered users page, paste login and passwd (in email) into fields during install, etc.

Automatic daily updates seem to be working correctly, however, after pasting and sending NOD32 information page to ESET, noticed that it says "Trial Version" with 19 days left.

Thus, I am trying to understand why "Trial version" is showing in the information, even though I downloaded, installed and pasted login & passwd in text boxes during install? Also, why is Vista security center not seeing NOD32?

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi there, please take the following steps:

1. Download a fresh copy of NOD32 from HERE and SAVE it to your DESKTOP.

For help with entering your Username and Password please see HERE

2. Uninstall your current version.

3. REBOOT your Computer.

4. Remove the Eset Folder from C Drive> Program Files.

5. Install the FRESH copy of Nod32 that you downloaded above using “Typical Settings”.

6. Check your settings against the following Nod32 Tutorial

Let us know how you go...

Cheers :D

3. lep

lep Registered Member

Tried the above steps and NOD32 and Zonealarm now won't start. On manual scan NOD32 states (in blue font) that an error occured reading an "MBR" sector of the disk.

4. Blackspear

I would suggest repairing Winsock

ALTERNATIVELY you can do the following:

For Windows XP:

Click on Start
    Click on Run
    Type in cmd
    Click on OK
    Type in netsh winsock reset
    (Please note there are spaces between the netsh and winsock and reset)

Press ENTER
    Restart your computer.

Then repair IMON; see post number 55 HERE

5. lep

lep Registered Member

RESOLVED: Vista Security Center says no antivirus software found

I fixed the Vista winsock, ran Regclean and several other registry cleaners, and reinstalled NOD32 and everything work like a charm.

My recommendation, however, would be for ESET to "get on board" the Windows Vista antivirus recognition program such that when you click on "find antivirus software" in the Vista Security Center, NOD32 is one of the choices.

It may require completion of the new beta to become operational, however, before MS will totally support it the way it does Symantec, McAfee, CA Associates, etc. Overall, I think my conflicts with the Security Center seemed to be centered around NOD32 not being "totally" recognized by Vista Security Center.

6. bdmc

bdmc Registered Member

Re: RESOLVED: Vista Security Center says no antivirus software found

Hi All,

I am having the same issue with 3 vista PCs.

I have done a "Push" install from RA using a config with Blackspears Extra settings. The other 25 Vista PCs have all worked correctly.

This is *not* an upgrade from the trial version.

NOD32 is working correctly, but the "Security Centre" still says no anti-virus found.

I have tried uninstallling/reinstalling. I have tried the "netsh winsock reset" and then repair IMON.

I haven't tried any reg cleaners yet, can anyone recommend one for Vista?

One of the PCs is a fresh Vista Install, the other 2 PCs are not.

Any one have any ideas?

7. Blackspear

Hi there, this is not a NOD32 issue. The most likely cause is corruption in Windows Management Instrumentation's (WMI) core repository of information; it stores details about what software has been installed on the computer.

Please check the following:

1. NOD32 is actually fully up-to-date by clicking on NOD32 Control Centre> Update> Update now.

2. NOD32 is actually working; you can test this with the following links that NOD32 should warn you about (they use benign samples).

http://www.misec.net/products/TrojanSimulator.zip

http://www.eset.com/eicar.com

If both (1) and (2) are OK, then complete the following to reset WMI's core repository:

1. Open a Command Prompt by clicking on Start->Run, entering "CMD.EXE" as the name of the program to run, and click on the OK button. The Command Prompt window will appear.

2. In the Command Prompt window, type "NET STOP WINMGMT /Y" and press Enter.

3. Type "REN %WINDIR%\SYSTEM32\WBEM\REPOSITORY %WINDIR%\SYSTEM32\WBEM\REP.OLD" and press Enter.

4. Type "EXIT" at the Command Prompt to close the window.

5. Reboot the system. Windows should start up as it normally does, but you may be prompted to reboot the system once more in order to finish making the changes to the system caused by resetting WMI's core repository. Allow the computer to reboot if it prompts again. You may also need to reboot a second (or third) time if the Windows Security Center still does not detect NOD32.

The Windows Security Center should now properly detect NOD32 and report it as being current. If it does not, go ahead and try reinstalling Service Pack 2 for Microsoft Windows XP.

8. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

Blackspear's method used to work for me but it seemed like after an update I started getting an "access denied" message. So I had to use this method.

Start--->All Programs--->Accessories. Right click on Command Prompt and select "Run as Administrator". After clicking continue on the UAC prompt the command window will come up already in the /windows/system32 folder. Then issue these commands:

cd wbem
    net stop winmgmt
    rmdir /s /q repository
    net start winmgmt

Close the window and then open up Security Center. It will inform you that the security service is turned off and will ask you to turn it back on. After clicking on the button it will rebuild the Repository and hopefully it will see NOD32.

This is not Eset's fault as I have had to do it with other programs such as Norton. Vista's Security Center is kind of buggy at the moment that I hope will be addressed in SP1. Either that or MS needs to add a "Reset Repository" function to SecCenter.

EDIT: N/M, we must have posted at the same time. Glad you got it sorted out :)

9. bdmc

bdmc Registered Member

Thanks Blackspear,

That fixed it - This would be a good entry in the FAQ if it's not already there.

10. Blackspear

You are welcome, and adding it now.

11. lep

lep Registered Member

I followed Midway40's method and am now up and running without security center issues. Although I do have ZA firewall, I did have to turn on the Windows firewall, but there is no reason why that should be turned off anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.