Vista Security Center and ESS

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by tihomirjur, Jul 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tihomirjur

tihomirjur Registered Member

I've browsed the ofrum for any advise but cant find anything related to my problem. I have ESS version 3.0.642 and Vista Ultimate. Vistas Security Center is informing me that it cant detect that my firewall is on although my ESS shows its on. I'll show screenshot below. I have tried what the message suggests but its not working meaning i dont get newer version of ESS installed. Can anyone help me here? Is downloading newer version of ESS solving the problem?

The screenshot
    FirewallProblems.jpg

2. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Just from what I'm seeing, the notification is that the Windows Firewall is turned off, but the ESS Firewall is enabled.

These are 2 different firewalls. You don't want both running at the same time.

If you have ESS Installed, it's advised to have the Windows Firewall off.

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

You can either ignore the message or upgrade to v4. Vista SP1 and newer uses a new format for communicating with the Security center. Recently MS has released an update for Win Vista which somehow forced the new format not supported by v2 and v3.

4. tihomirjur

tihomirjur Registered Member

Thx for such quick reply guys. I had similar thoughts but wanted to hear second opinion. :thumb:

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Sans.....

6. jf2go

jf2go Registered Member

I am also experiencing this on Vista 32-bit SP1. I am not yet ready to move to v4, so I guess that I will have to turn off Windows Security Center monitoring of my Anti-Virus. This is definitely not desireable, but it looks like I don't really have any other choice.

7. stratoc

stratoc Guest

684 works fine here, vista 32 bit sp2

8. stratoc

stratoc Guest

strange how it works for one but not another? this was installed after sp2 and the latest updates had been installed. vista health report adds it correctly and so does security center.

9. eezdva

eezdva Registered Member

I had problems with the security centre. For me ESS would still show although it was already gone.

Maybe a reset of the SC might help:

Open a command prompt as administrator. (in the start menu search bar, search for 'cmd' then open this with right click 'run as administrator')
    Typ the following lines in the command prompt:

net stop winmgmt
    cd /d %windir%\system32\wbem
    ren repository repository.old
    net start winmgmt

When this works you can remove the following folder: C:\Windows\System32\wbem\repository.old (old repository folder which we renamed with the commands)

10. Brambb

Brambb Registered Member

I dont think that is the case here eezdva :) As Marcos mentioned it cause of a update in Vista which is forcing a new kind of communication between AV and the Security Centrum.

People without the problem either dont have the latest updates installed, or are using V4 of NOD32.

11. eezdva

eezdva Registered Member

:) hehe ok.

This security centre stays a mystery :)

12. stratoc

stratoc Guest

just checked all hidden updates and i seem to have them all, it is indeed a mystery..

13. stratoc

stratoc Guest

for the record, no other security programs installed. defender and windows firewall disabled in services.
    un-install v3 (684)
    re-boot manually clean registry and remove eset program folder and data folder.
    run jv power tools
    reboot
    check for updates none found.
    reboot
    vista security center reports no firewall, no anti virus and defender off
    vista health report, says all fine but no anti-virus or anti spyware was found.

install and run v2.7
    vista security center report no firewall or anti- spyware but anti viru installed and up to date.

remove install v3 smart
    vista security center all green no problems
    vista health report all green, no problems found on this pc.

remove install v4
    vista security center all green
    vista health report says no anti virus was found or anti spyware.

so what's different about my pc?
    vista ultimate 32 bit sp2 last updates 14/7/09

14. Brambb

Brambb Registered Member

Well, I just assumed with the information posted here and elsewhere that it should affect all Vista OS and newer. Why this is not happening with your setup I cant tell! But in this other topic they don't seem to get the error (yet) either.

Nice to see your looking for a malfunction though, heh. You shouldn't worry about it, I for one have SC notification completely disabled. I rather monitor my PC myself. You might wanna try what eezdva posted earlier, it helped him with a SC problem. I see that ESET also has a KB article for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.