Vista problem ?

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by acr1965, Oct 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I get the UAC warning on Vista when I want to run Spyware Blaster to check for updates. I allow that but then always get the "Spyware Blaster has stopped working" message. Under the "details" portion of that I have the following message-

"Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: spywareblaster.exe
    Application Version: 3.5.0.1
    Application Timestamp: 43b835e1
    Fault Module Name: adialhk.dll_unloaded
    Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
    Fault Module Timestamp: 46837560
    Exception Code: c0000096
    Exception Offset: 003832fc
    OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: e4ad
    Additional Information 2: 442e342677379568622c0f069bf48024
    Additional Information 3: d31b
    Additional Information 4: 8e819fb7bd9a0dc21b5998449a0c6b64"

Anything I need to do to let SB load correctly?

thanks

2. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

There is a known issue with DEP on some installations of Vista that should be fixed in the upcoming new version of SpywareBlaster.

However, it looks like the issue you are encountering may be something else - I notice the crash log mentions "adialhk.dll", which (based on some searching) may be a part of Kaspersky Anti-Virus/Internet Suite. Do you have any Kaspersky products installed?

Best regards and thanks,

-Javacool

3. acr1965

Yes, KIS 7. I tried shutting down KIS then running SB. But I get the same result except for a few differences in the "details" section now-

"Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: spywareblaster.exe
    Application Version: 3.5.0.1
    Application Timestamp: 43b835e1
    Fault Module Name: StackHash_48a1
    Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
    Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
    Exception Code: c0000096
    Exception Offset: 007a32fc
    OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: 48a1
    Additional Information 2: 5c1902bdd1c53cc52280885f3a866b5c
    Additional Information 3: 827f
    Additional Information 4: e39548f31fdbfefcd789390ba93d8f81"

Last edited: Oct 10, 2007
  4. acr1965

Update-

I added SB to the list of excluded programs in DEP and that allowed it to boot up correctly. I was not able to get an internet connection for SB until I paused the KIS protection. But I was able to get the latest updates after doing that.

5. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Hi javacool,

Do you have a release date you can share with us for the new version? I'm switching over to Vista soon on one of my PC's and would like to continue using SpywareBlaster if at all possible.

Thanks.

6. javacool

Hi,

I generally don't provide estimated release dates, because it's far too easy for something to occur that ends up delaying the release. That said, the new version is progressing *very* nicely, and we hope to have it available soon. :cool:

But don't let that stop you from using the current version of SpywareBlaster on Windows Vista. While there are a few quirks with the extra Tools, the majority of the main protection works just fine. :)

If you encounter the DEP issue, it's easy to add spywareblaster.exe to the DEP exclusion list (details for how to do so with EULAlyzer are here - just substitute the path and name of SpywareBlaster instead). The next version should fix this issue so you don't have to implement the workaround, as well as provide a number of improvements and features.

Best regards,

-Javacool

7. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Hi Javacool,

I understand you not wanting to give release dates, that is fine. Its good to know you are still working on this product and making it even better.

Thanks for the information regarding Vista, I will be sure to install it when I reformat in the near future.

Cheers,

Trooper

8. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I just installed SpywareBlaster last week on my Son's new Vista pc. No problems I'm aware of.:)

9. raffaella

raffaella Registered Member

I do not know whether this is the right place as this is my first in this forum.
    But, have been having so many problems just installing Spywareblaster on my new computer.
    Nothing at all will install on Mozilla so i did so, on Opera. BUT, this happens constantly, I get the Windows message "Spywareblaster has stopped working" even before it starts, just after I have pressed Finish. Then another message telling me "Windows will search for a solution":but never finds one!
    I have installed and uninstalled so many times!
    I tried again on IE and again received the same replies as above. Except, there was a new one telling me that maybe it was not correctly installed-so re-installed. Same replies.
    On my old computer with OS98 never have had a problem.
    I have Vista premium so is this the problem?
    Please help someone.
    Raffaella

10. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

It's Windows. In about a year and umteen patches from now, Vista will or should be able to handle anything.

11. dcdc

dcdc Registered Member

Raffaella,

I installed SpywareBlaster on my new computer running Vista Home Premium, and it seems to run fine, except for the UAC popup whenever I run it, but that is normal.

I wonder if you are running any other security software that perhaps is not fully Vista and/or SB compatible and which for that reason might be interfering in some strange way with the SB complete download.

As such, I might suggest uninstalling SB yet again, shutting off some of that security software (or all of it if you feel comfortable doing so), and doing a new download. Then see if it is working and free of any alerts, and restore your security software to active mode.

At least the downloads can be done at will. :)

12. mfaccone

mfaccone Registered Member

I don't know if this is related to anyone elses problem but...
    Every time I run the program it wants to go through the installation process.
    It works ok, but it still wants to reinstall itself everytime.
    Running Vista SP1 on a HP computer

13. dcdc

dcdc Registered Member

That doesn't sound right to me.

I thought SP1 for Vista was still in beta. Maybe that's part of your problem.

14. mfaccone

If I remember correctly.. it was doing it even before I put the SP1 RC1 Vista on this computer. SP1 corrected all the other little annoyances anyway.
    SpywareBlaster is the only program I have ever had that does this.
    I have uninstalled and reinstalled a couple times to see if it would correct this behavior but it still just wants to reinstall itself every time I try to use it.
    Like I said, it works perfectly once it runs... just the 2 min. or so of it saying its installing thats a PITA.

15. dcdc

dcdc Registered Member

Well, I have no idea what your specific problem might be, but I have had some interaction problems between SpywareBlaster and other antimalware applications, specifically Spy Sweeper and Spyware Doctor, both of which are reputable apps, noy crapware.

One thing you might try is shutting down some of the other antimalware you run to see if they might be causing a problem somehow.

Is it possible that with the uninstalls you have done that the earlier downloads were not completely removed from your system? Perhaps some registry entries were left behind that are screwing things up. I am wary of registry cleaners, but CCleaner seems to be popular.

Maybe delete the SpywareBlaster folder entirely before trying another download.

Have you tried using System Restore to roll the system back to before the initial SB installation?

16. javacool

Hi,

Could you please post a screenshot (if possible) of the reinstallation prompt/window? (And does that window say "SpywareBlaster"?) This is definitely a very unusual behavior.

Thanks! :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

17. mfaccone

Ok... here is the screenshot.
    All it says is preparing to install with the spyblaster program behind it.
    After it loads all is fine.

Attached Files:

18. mfaccone

Here is what I have running...
    Avast! antivirus program...
    the standard Windows Vista Firewall and security.
    The rest below are not set to be active all the time, just when I run them.
    Spybot search and destroy
    CCleaner
    AD-Aware SE Personal - the older version
    Advanced WindowCare V2 Pro.

Edit : I just now installed SpywareGuard and it does the same thing. What is wierd is that no other programs installed on my computer do this.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2007
  19. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

While this does not help tremendously....seeing Windows Installer helps to some degree. Meaning, Spywareblaster does not use msi files to install, as it uses it's own executable. What will need to be determined is why opening Spywareblaster invokes Microsofts Windows Installer(msi file) and what program is wanting to start an install or finish an install procedure :doubt:

mfaccone, did you receive the same Windows Installer popup when installing SpywareGuard ?

Bubba

Last edited: Dec 17, 2007
  20. mfaccone

Yes... same Window Installer popup.
    I have also tried using that Microsoft msiccu2.exe file which sometimes helps when doing a clean install of a program that uses msi files to install. That didn't work either.

21. javacool

Hi,

SpywareBlaster doesn't use any MSI files - what you're seeing is likely the result of a corrupt installation by another program. (Why a program's MSI installer can insert itself into other programs' startups is a topic for another day. :blink:)

I've been tracking this problem for a while, and I believe I've just come up with a fix. :cool:

1.) Copy the following text into notepad and save it as "msifix.reg" (without the quotes):
    Code:
    REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{BDD1F04B-858B-11D1-B16A-00C0F0283628}\InprocServer32]
    "InprocServer32"=-

2.) Double-click on the "msifix.reg" file you just created, and confirm that you want to merge it with your registry.

This should remove the problem entry, and allow you to use SpywareBlaster without receiving the MSI installer pop-up every time it starts. :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

Last edited: Dec 18, 2007
  22. mfaccone

That seemed to work.
    I'm wondering which program had the corrupt install though.
    Is there a log file somewhere that may tell me?
    Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.