Vista NOD32 Spyware Protection

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by aviwil, Aug 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aviwil

aviwil Registered Member

I've just installed trial NOD32 on my HP Vista Home Premium laptop , and am quite impressed so far . My question - in the Vista Windows Security Center Malware Protection Box it reports NOD32 as providing "Virus Protection" , but not for "Spyware and other Malware Protection" . It suggests that I turn on Windows Defender to provide the "Spyware and other Malware Protection" . I had turned it off so as not to clash with NOD32 . Is NOD32 providing this or not ?

2. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Re: Vitsa NOD32 Spyware Protection

Yes it is providing such protection although many users of various AV products (not just NOD) will employ a separate AS solution. Because no product can provide a 100% solution.

3. aviwil

aviwil Registered Member

Thanks The Hammer . To provide another AS solution , I take it that I should disable the NOD32 AS capability ? How do I do that ? Is Windows Defender considered a good AS solution ?

4. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England

They will co-exist just fine. I'm not a fan of Defender, but leaving it running will be fine.

Microsoft should not/can not try to determine which antivirus product also provides ad/spyware protection...but naturally they want to toot their own horn and shove Defender on you. Just ignore it.

5. aviwil

aviwil Registered Member

Thnaks Yeoldstonecat . What would you suggest instead of Defender ?

6. YeOldeStonecat

For beefed up protection, Spybot S&D, occasionally keep updating it, and each time you update it..use the re-immunize feature. Unless you use the optional tea-time protection..no resources used.

Spywareblaster is another good layer of protection, it beefs up both IE and Firefox. No resources taken, occasionally keep updating it.

SuperAntispyware is free, VERY effective at removal, although it does use a bit of resources.

Using a safer browser such as Opera or Firefox

Not having your Administrator account with a blank password

Most important to me..being behind a NAT router.

7. aviwil

aviwil Registered Member

Thanks.

8. YeOldeStonecat

That being said...everyone has their own comfort level of protection. I just prefer to be behind NAT, I never leave my Admin password blank, I just use NOD32, and Firefox because of it's adblock feature.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.