VISTA is now supported?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by tdehan, Jun 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tdehan

tdehan Registered Member

What exactly does this mean?

In the latest versiont of True Image Server 9.1 for Windows (9.1.3920) it now says: support for Windows Vista. However, what exactly does that mean? I was told for so long that there was no support for Vista however, now it appears to be so according to the update history. But, when I tried to clone an 80GB C:\ drive with Vista to a new 250GB drive, even though True Image Server said the clone operation completed successfully, when booting into Windows it says:

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:
    1. Insert you windows installation disc and restart your computer
    2. Choose your language settings and then click next.
    3. Click "repair your computer"​

The error goes on to say:
    file \windows\system32\winload.exe
    the selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt​

The clone was performed from the bootable CD made from the latest version of True Image Server 9.1.

I contacted support last evening via Live Chat. They told me it should work and prompted me to download an .iso file and create the bootable CD from that. They informed me that the link to the new. iso download was better than the bootable CD made from the software. I asked them how this would be to which they side stepped the question.

They also said that instead of cloning to try the Backup / Recovery method in order to clone the new hard drive to Vista. I asked them if that was the recommended method for Windows Vista, to which they side stepped that question as well.

So, I tried both to clone the hard drives with the new downloaded .iso file from support which indicated it completed successfully and then a Backup / Recovery, which also indicated it completed successfully. However, both failed with the same errors when booting into Vista.

I followed the screen prompts and stuck in my Vista disk and ran Repair which did allow me to boot into the OS on the new disk. However, it does not appear that the latest version of True Image Server 9.1 for Windows supports Vista as they state.

2. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

tdehan:

You are correct in that ATI does not automatically regenerate the disk ID needed to make Vista bootable and that you need the Vista DVD to do this operation. There was quite a bit of discussion about that issue in this post, if you are interested in the details behind this. In the post, TrueImage Home 10 is being discussed but I assume the reasons are the same for True Image Server 9.1.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.