Vista Defender blocks NOD32!!!!

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Chevalier, Jul 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chevalier

Chevalier Registered Member

I have just purchased NOD32 Ver 2.7 and installed it on Windows Vista Ultimate without a hitch. However, whenever I restart Vista NOD32 is blocked by Windows Defender and I have to specifically unblock it before it can operate. Is this tedious process part of the normal operation or is there something I have missed during setup?

Can anyone please offer assistance.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2007
  2. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

Not sure what you did wrong but Defender should not be stopping NOD from running or interfering with it at all. In the mean time you can disable Defender until you get it worked out.

3. Chevalier

Many thanks for the response. Defender protects me from a host of potential threats so I am not keen to disable it. I had hoped that Defender would let me allow NOD32 but it will not and tells me that the offending software is:-

NoD32 Antivirus System
    File Name: nod32kui.exe
    Display Nunee NoD32 Antivirus System
    Description: N0D32 control Center GUI
    Publisher Eset
    Digitally Signed By: NOT SIGNED
    File Type: Application
    Startup value: "D:\Program Files\Eset\nod32kui.exe” /WaitService
    File Path: D:\Program Files\Eset\nod32kui.exe
    File Size: 949376
    File version: 2, 70, 39
    Date Installed: 13/07/2007 23:24:59
    Startup Type: Registry: Local Machine
    Classification: Not yet classified
    Ships with Operating System: No
    SpyNet voting: In Progress

I consulted the Defender Helpfile and it states that NOD32 will remain blocked and classified as "Not yet classified" until either NOD32 is Digitally Signed or SpyNet voting classifies it as "Permitted".

Incidentally, I have uninstalled and re-installed NOD32 several times and also used the "Run as Administrator" option but I always get the same outcome.

Perhaps someone else has also encountered this problem and found a solution?

4. flyrfan111

NOD would provide much greater protection than Defender will. If I could only have one of the two, Defender would be the one that went without question. I would change your settings in Defender to not remove or disable sofware that is not yet classified.

5. flyrfan111

Still not sure what the problem is, I just activated Defender here with all settings maxed out and no problems, I am using F-Prot, instead of NOD, but it is not recognized by Defender either. I will download the trial of NOD and see if it makes a difference.

6. flyrfan111

No Problems at all, during the install Defender even reported that a known application made changes to the registry. Do you have the latest Defender definitions? I had no trouble installing, restarting, browsing for a bit and unistalling NOD.

7. AshG

AshG Registered Member

It sounds to m as if Defender may be hosed. I run two home systems with Vista and manage a few elsewhere. I have had absolutely no problems whatsoever installing NOD32 on any of the Vista fleet.

Do yourself a favor and dump Defender. NOD32 is much more valuable in the long run. Or, you could always play roulette with one of those other AV vendors....

8. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

Just disable that windows defender crap. It's useless just like Vista.

9. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Chevalier contact Eset support with a link to this thread. You shouldn't have to disable Defender if you don't want to.

10. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    I agree....it was a good program back when Giant Software made it..and shortly after Microsoft bought them out..it was still good as Microsoft Antispyware (when it had the orange/yellow/black bullseye as the icon). I installed it on every PC that I worked on/supported/deployed.

But after Microsoft rebuilt it..and went as Defender...I've found it very useless. I don't even bother with it anymore.

11. The Hammer

What you or I think of Defender is neither here nor there. The OP values it and NOD should be able to work with it and the OP should be assisted to achieve that goal.

12. codpet

codpet Registered Member

I have Vista x64, with Defender on, and NOD32 installed.. I have no issues.

There must be a way you can go into Defender and add NOD to the safe list.

13. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Well , NOD32 does work with Defender . I have clients with Enterprise edition and although I proved Defender is useless when there is NOD32 , he insisted we keep it along with NOD32 on all computers in the network.

What I did when installing NOD32 was to first disable (Exit) Windows Defender , then install NOD32 , reboot and upon reboot both NOD and Defender are active and working well . Defender didn't stop anything because it was temporaty stopeed .

I would suggest the OP to uninstall NOD32 , reboot , delete C:\Program files\Eset folder , disable Windows Defender , download and install NOD32 , reboot and after reboot both should be working OK .

I have never received any complaint of this company :thumb:

14. Chevalier

I have followed your example and am pleased to say that the process worked and I no longer have a problem. Many thanks for your help.:D

15. Big Apple

Big Apple Frequent Poster

I don't agree with you at all. Defender does no harm at all and stops things like eicarcom2.zip. Most av's let eidarcom2.zip download, before dealing with it and Defender stops it cold!
    Vista calling crap, why?

And I didn't have any trouble with Defender when installing/running Nod32.

16. The Hammer

Seeing as HiTech_boy has solved the problem I'd recommend closure before the thread degenerates into too much of a Vista is crap and Defender is crap.

17. ASpace

ASpace Guest

You are welcome :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.