Vista Crash New Beta 1b

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by chemicalkicks, Aug 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chemicalkicks

chemicalkicks Registered Member

I've read a few threads that have touched on the same problem.

Observed:

While running previous beta (was it called 1a) I could not complete a scan either in manual or automatic without windows becoming unresponsive to comands which always lead to a forced shut down ie. turn off at wall.

I installed the bew Beta B by uninstalling Beta A - Restarted - Then installed Beta B.

After installing 1B windows would become unstable about 10 minutes after boot up. Again only solution was force shut down. I did this 6 times in a row before I han my lightbulb moment "hey didnt I just install the new beta why dont I unistall ESS?". When I did uninstall ESS the problems went away.

So I uninstalled the new beta deleted all the left over folders restarted then installed Beta B again. This time it doesnt cause Vista to become unresponsive 10 minutes from boot only when I run a scan. Anyway the big problem is that I cannot claim that my system is free from intrusion as I cant run a scan and have it complete.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Any fix that I can apply?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2007
  2. mil

mil Registered Member

I also have this problem... it locks up my system after about 10mins (Vista Ultmiate 32)
    I have uninstalled completely and will return to NOD32 2.7

3. chemicalkicks

chemicalkicks Registered Member

BUMP

Anyone any idea's is their is a fix for this, doesnt lock up after 10 mins now, only when I run a scan manually.

Also been posting [a href="http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=182248"]here[/a>]

4. mil

mil Registered Member

I still have this with the new beta 2 (different laptop to before - brand new).
    It was working fine but now it just locks up after you log on. (Vista Home Premium).

5. Pwntje

Pwntje Registered Member

I had this problem with all beta's so far (b2 including). I reported it to ESET, but I haven't got a reply back. Vista just freezes after 10 min after startup, nothing else to be done except rebooting. Only way to get Windows back is to go into Safe Mode and remove the ESS drivers from System32\drivers.
    Come on ESET, so many people are having this bug, there must be a way to solve this.

6. mil

mil Registered Member

Mine doesnt even last 10mins, as soon as I logon it freezes and locks ups. I had to disable the ESS service is safemode and then uninstall from normal. Its a shame really because I have it working on my XP SP2 laptop and its great!

7. Pwntje

Pwntje Registered Member

RC1 still has this problem.

8. ice2003

ice2003 Registered Member

After my initial install problems i have had no problems or lockup at all, I just completed a full scan on a 320gig sata2 hd full of all sorts of crap, Took around an hour to process the full disk, All good here so far. :D

9. Pwntje

Pwntje Registered Member

Yes, but not here.

10. Pwntje

Pwntje Registered Member

Anyone from ESET on this bug? Its there from Beta 1, and it still exists.

11. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Do you encounter this problem even with EAV? You could also try disabling the real-time protection for a while to see if the problem occurs.

12. Pwntje

Pwntje Registered Member

I will try this, and switch stuff off one by one, maybe I can do this just before Windows freezes.
    I will report back. As far as I know it's a firewall issue, but who knows.

13. Pwntje

Pwntje Registered Member

I just tried it, and it doesn't matter what I disable or enable, Windows keeps freezing for me.
    Only way to fix this problem is remove all the ESET drivers in the \System32\Drivers folder in Safe Mode, and then uninstall it.

Small update:
    I just removed ONLY the Firewall drivers from \System32\Drivers, and now it works fine without freezes. I'm already running it now for ~20 mins. So the problem seems to be the firewall drivers. I hope ESET can do something with this information.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2007
  14. SurlyDuff

SurlyDuff Registered Member

When a scan is going on, I also notice that my system becomes far less responsive. I usually have to go into task manager and manually set the priority of ekrn.exe to "Below Normal" or "Low", although I think this should be the default setting. This is still a problem in RC1. I also have a problem that, for some reason, after I leave it running for a while, clicking on the Protection Status-->Personal Firewall menu item will completely freeze my computer. I slowly have to move the mouse over to another menu item like Computer Scan or Update in order to use my computer at all (which takes about 2 minutes). I hope this can be solved in RC2.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.